Joan of Dark

I have this new-found fascination with roller derby. It started after my birthday last year. I had planned to see Whip It for my birthday and of course it stayed in theatres a whole DAY and wasn't around when my birthday rolled around. I ended up renting it, watching it and LOVING every second of it. It made me want to strap on a pair of skates and elbow someone in the gut right then and there. And I'm half bummed/half relieved that there isn't a team in the area. Bummed because of the obvious. I'd want to try it out. Relieved...because I'd want to try it out. I am not a good skater. And I have this funny feeling I would get very disappointed if I couldn't do it.
I ran across a blog yesterday that I started following of a roller derby girl called Joan of Dark. I can across it while reading Neil Gaiman's blog and was instantly fascinated. She knits, does roller derby and pretty much kicks ass. And she recently met Neil Gaiman. Lucky girl.
Roller derby is one of those things where when I saw it for the first time, it just clicked. My first thought was "Did I think this up? Because this seems like something I'd think up and love." Obviously roller derby has been around a lot longer than moi. But what I mean is...it's just one of those things that instantly looked like I'd love it. It said "LiQi" all over it. Sigh...why does the closest team have to be two hours away (in either direction) again?

Comments

Popular Posts