Old Timeless Love

Me and my coworker Gretchen were talking about this the other day: the overwhelming feeling of joy when we see an old married couple that's still in love. It's so timeless and uplifting. And it's a shame that it's rare to hear about people being married a long time these days because there's SO much divorce. I feel like a lot of people get out of marriages just because it's hard...because it is hard. But if we all quit things because they were hard, we'd never finish or accomplish anything. I'm not saying all divorces are like that because there are some serious causes of divorce. But the real issue here is people rushing into marriage before they really know the person. Or just before they're mature enough for it. I sometimes wonder if anyone stays together anymore but then I see those old couples kissing on a park bench and I feel hope for the future. For my future.
Gretchen described a couple she saw in New York City that were holding hands and were just so OBVIOUSLY in love. Still. Recently I had a similar experience. I was walking somewhere and this older couple was walking by and the man took the woman's hand and her initial reaction was just priceless. She looked at her hand that he had just taken and then looked up at him with this giddy look of awe like "You want to hold MY hand? You picked ME?" I know exactly how that feels. And I can't wait to know how that feels when I'm 75.

Comments

Popular Posts