Bloomin' Luck


Last night I took my mom to see My Fair Lady on stage as an early birthday present. And that's definitely the best $130 I've spent in a very long time. AMAZING. It was so much more meaningful to me since I grew up watching the movie...but even if you had never seen the movie I think you'd still appreciate it. The cast was AWESOME and did an amazing job. And the sets were mind blowing. They used a deep perspective that I've never seen before on stage and it made the whole thing come to life. I'd go again if I could afford to. And again and again.
I noticed something during the play that made me realize something...well two things. First thing: Gloves used to be a necessity. Back in the day if you didn't wear gloves "going out," it was like forgetting to wear shoes. SUCH a big deal. And Second thing: Back in the day it was normal for guys to LIKE to go to plays, operas, and ballets. Those were upper-class society things to do. There was nothing low about it and they weren't considered primarily feminine things to do or see. It was engaging in and appreciating the arts. Now what's predominantly feminine about that? I thought that was interesting.
I also noticed how much was exaggerated in My Fair Lady about society in general. Like when everyone goes to the races they're talking about what the thrill the races were and how exciting it was...yet they showed zero emotion or enthusiasm because they were high class and you just didn't get excited about things when you were high class. I loved the exaggerations...and just...everything. Makes me want to start saying "bloomin." *sigh*

Comments

Erika Britt said…
I found your blog! Sweeeeet. Very much Rachel. Looking forward to reading more posts friend.

Popular Posts