Ferry Tales

I <3 traveling. Even if it's just crossing on the ferry to Seattle. I am not an early bird but when I'm going on a trip somewhere I LOVE getting up in the early morning and getting to see the sky slowly go from black to dark blue until the sun comes up. I miss traveling overseas. I need to do that again one of these days.
I rode the ferry early this morning and one of my favorite things to do when riding the ferry is watch people get off the ferry. It's got to be one of the single more entertaining ways of people-watching. Everyone has a different style of walking off the boat and it cracks me up. I think my favorites are the ones that are in SUCH a hurry but refuse to run. They should compete as competitive speed walkers. Their little legs are going SO fast but they try to keep their torso relatively stationary so they still look respectable. And their facial expression tops it off. SO serious. There's the teenagers walking to the beat of their Ipod as exaggerated as possible. There's the clueless-former-hippy-middle-aged women who stroll at a snails pace with a disconnected curl of a smile on their lips. They always get in everyone's way but never realize it. It's great. Same with old men. They get their ticket and stop abruptly and almost cause an accident because of the crowd of people walking behind them. I love watching the awkwardness when someone is in someone's way but they don't realize it so the person whose way they're in is just completely confused and feels all awkward that they can't seem to get past this human being. People are fun.
Last weekend on the way back from seeing My Fair Lady, an obvious "designated driver" was helping all his drunk buddies get tickets for the ferry at the terminal and somehow keep them from spewing vomit all over the floor. He had to carry one to the bathroom several times. The entire spectacle was rather amusing. The drunkest of the group, when first entering the seating area, ran to the middle of the floor and just collapsed on the floor and waved his ferry ticket about him deliriously. I sort of felt sorry for them for how sick they were...but then I kept thinking..."Why do I feel bad? They did it to themselves." I'm just glad they had a buddy to take care of them and get them home. I used to be entirely clueless when it came to drunkenness. I could never tell if someone was drunk. I just thought they were messing around. Then finally one day my friend mentioned that so and so was drunk and I was completely like..."Really?" Had NO idea.
Well...gotta go start the day...I've had one cup of coffee so far. I got to bed at 11:30ish and had to catch the 6:10 ferry which meant getting up at around 5. Not a big fan of losing sleep. But I am a fan of seeing good friends. Probably will need some more coffee later. We'll see.One more thing...have to mention this is my 42nd post...which as we all know is the answer to the universe...42 I mean. If you don't understand this, go to Barnes and Noble or really any book store and buy The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It will all make sense...if it still doesn't, tell me.

Comments

Popular Posts