Mix Tape

I was almost disappointed to see the sun this morning. I wanted another soothing sleep of soft rain falling outside my open window...but I guess not this time. Maybe tonight. I hope so.
My desk is slowly becoming a war zone. My coworker Nicole and I have been introducing each other to new music so I have a big stack of CDs she loaned me not to mention my OWN stack of CDs and CD case. Yes...I'm still old school and listen to CDs. I got an mp3 player but it only holds so much. Hey, at least I'm not listening to tapes!
Ahhh mix tapes. I miss those. I used to make some of the coolest mix tapes for my friends. One of my best friends was Erika (also known as Little Red Hearts in my "they inspire me" list to the right...check her out!) and she had to move to Papua New Guinea after living in China for a few years when we were in middle school. Or actually...maybe it was right before middle school. So while she was there we would send each other mix tapes with the music we were into at the time. I sent her a lot of ska and she sent me a lot of oldies. It was great. I loved mix tapes. I loved making mix tapes. Fast forwarding and rewinding over and over to get it to the right spot to start recording. So great. I remember her dad had one of those mini tape players and we would go around recording ourselves (when she was still living in China obviously) and make up random radio plays like we were disc jockeys. We'd tell stories and have to stop the tape every minute or so because we'd be laughing SO hard. We were an odd bunch. The shyest girls at school but behind closed doors (or just outside of school) we were anything but shy. Ahhhh reminisce.
Last year my little Erika got married which was seriously the coolest thing to witness ever. Her wedding was amazing...I can't even describe it...I've never been to a wedding so entirely symbolic of the couple getting married. I mean everything down to the stir-sticks were SO Erika and her new husband Arden. They put so much of themselves into it. And just as I hoped, Erika kept to her roots back in China and Papua New Guinea and used elements from those two places in her decor. Her flowers were all Birds of Paradise and I think some orchids as well as bamboo in vases. The programs were printed on accounting paper because Arden is an accountant. It was just great.

Comments

Erika Britt said…
Aw man. This is such a beautiful post. Thanks for all the sweet words on our wedding. It was THE MOST beautiful day ever. I wish for times for us to hang out on days that are slow, making mixtapes, kinda days. I hope you are well friend. Keep blogging.

Popular Posts