Spring roll vs. Egg Roll

Every morning my hands are cold or shrink or something cuz my ring on my right hand spins around my finger. ALL MORNING. It's SO flippin annoying. I've thought for awhile about getting it resized but the thing is it seems to fit fine/great the rest of the time. Very, VERY annoying...I think I'm a size 5 now and going to a 4.5 would just be pushing it. Give me any hot weather and it would probably get stuck. Which isn't cool.
So yesterday the design/development team of mywedding.com went out for lunch at this Thai place near by...(which was good...except my dish...all the appetizers were awesome and everyone else's food was great but mine was a little...odd...and I don't mean in the "oh it's so exotic and weird!" sense because I lived in China, I spent a lot of time in Thailand...I'm not clueless about weird food by any means...but this was odd in the "I know what this is supposed to look like...and this isn't it..." So...not sure what to say about that...) and I was once again reminded of the great debate between what is the difference between an egg roll and a spring roll. I've brought this up to people before and everyone has an explanation...and no explanation really makes any sense at all.
"Oh well a spring roll only has veggies and an egg roll has egg and meat sometimes..."...and then the spring roll we happen to get that very moment has meat in it. Strike one.
"Spring rolls aren't fried while egg rolls are..."...and then once again whatever we eat ends up completely disproving that theory. Strike two.
And then take the opposite of either of these statements and I promise we've had the reverse situation happen. Strike three.
So...here is my theory on the whole thing...egg rolls are either:

1. Something from a different Asian country other than China...so not Chinese at all... or 2. A completely American-made-up spring-roll-wanna-be. Nice. And really? I think I'm right. After living in China 14 years, I never ONCE saw or heard of anything called an Egg Roll. Frankly the whole idea kinda sounds sick to me. But that aside...never heard of it. It was ALWAYS spring rolls. Period. Variations, sure. But still...they were ALL spring rolls.
So...therefore I find it difficult to take most restaurants serious if they offer both spring rolls and egg rolls. That's just me. And yes I know...we weren't in a Chinese restaurant. BUT...I don't remember ever hearing of egg rolls in Thailand either. So there you go. Here's a spring roll vs. egg roll debate. I feel like it all contradicts itself though...cuz every time someone establishes something like "oh spring rolls have a lighter skin than egg rolls"...I've had that experience but I've also personally experienced the complete opposite where the spring roll skin is heavier than an egg roll. *sigh*
ONE more thing I must throw in there is this: it could be a Cantonese thing cuz I am not familiar with Cantonese things at all. But...whatever. It's all mumbo jumbo. For me...there will always only BE spring rolls.

Comments

Popular Posts