...ZZZ...SLEEP...ZZZ...

For the past few weeks, I've found it difficult to sleep. In fact...it may have been longer than a few weeks. From what I recall, it began when John returned from San Diego. I barely slept the week he returned and when he came to our house for the weekend, I slept fine knowing he was in the house. But then when he left to go home that Sunday, my restlessness returned. And it's been that way ever since, increasingly worse as our wedding approaches. In the past 2 weeks, my mom wisely instructed me to force myself to go to bed at a ridiculously-early-compared-to-usual hour (8:30/9:00?) and to take a Tylenol PM. Honestly...this has been a LIFESAVER. Because I literally just lay there and think and think and think and sleep never comes. Unfortunately, some nights I have taken the pill a tad too early and end up finishing up little things in a semi sleepy state. Last night was not the exception but it was definitely the most groggy I've let myself get. I knew I should just give it up and go to sleep but I was SO close to finishing the task at hand and I just wanted it DONE. So I kept working...and decided to call John and chat for a bit. I've never compared sleeping pills and drunkenness but that's seriously how bad it got. After awhile I was singing and giggling to myself with him on the phone. I was putting together favors and kept forgetting what I was doing and forgetting to put the actual favor IN the envelope it needed to be in. Also...I've learned...sleeping pills and paper cutters don't mix. Then again...sleeping pills and rulers don't either. Or measuring. I finally hung up and began getting ready for bed in my groggy stupor. At that point, I crossed into a stage of "sleeping-pill-symptoms" I had never ventured before. It's the stage where you see a little crumb on your bed and you instinctively eat it without thinking "hey...WHY is there a crumb on my bed in the first place and should I just eat random crumbs I find laying around?" because you're too out of it to get past the crumb=food thought. Then you realize you're ACTUALLY chewing on a little thread that happened to look like a crumb. Yes...things get silly on sleeping pills when you don't do what sleeping pills are made for...and that is SLEEP. Needless to say...tonight I am taking a sleeping pill...AFTER I've finished the tasks at hand.

Comments

robayre said…
hahaha, this post totally made me laugh out loud, putting a crumb in your mouth instinctively without first thinking, why is there a crumb here. so funny.
I've never ventured into the sleeping pills territory, but I am guessing it would make my life a lot better. I go through real rough periods of insomnia. It's just the absolute worst thing, lying there and thinking and thinking and then checking the clock and realizing if I fall asleep right now at this very moment I'll still be able to get 4, 3, 2, 1, hours of sleep.
One thing I highly recommend because it works is to make sure you get LOTS of exercise. I've read it suggested that if you are having insomnia or restless sleep to try and get at least one hour of intense exercise and you will sleep more rested. You just want to make sure that you finish plenty (several hours) before you plan on going to sleep.
I've also heard that you should make sure to keep your bedroom only for sleep and love. No reading or watching tv in bed.

Popular Posts