The Game of Life

Since 2003, I've kept a little yellow book (bigger than this one of course...) of New Year's Resolutions. Every year, I open up my little book and comment next to all the resolutions I had for last year...did I succeed, if even partially? Should I keep trying? Was it a dumb resolution to begin with? When I'm finished and satisfied, I open a new page and begin creating my brand new resolutions for the coming year. Some of them repeat from year to year. I was ecstatic to finally put one to rest that has been a New Year's resolution for as long as I can remember - literally. And that is biting my nails. Somehow...I no longer have the need to bite my nails. I never really had a 'need' per say. In fact, I never really knew I was doing it when I was. Which was the whole problem. But in the past two years, it has dwindled down to almost nothing besides moments when I'm worrying about something that doesn't need to be worried about and I begin to nibble. But it never goes far. I'm finally free.
I noticed a lot of my resolutions this year were common ones as well as repeats of years before (besides the nail biting one). Work out...spend more time with God...pray...a few new ones crept into my wee little yellow book: support my husband <3 ...start a creative schedule/routine so I am regularly creating...whether it's photography or painting or doodling or whatever. SOMETHING. Decide when or if I am going back to school. I don't remember all of them but when I am finished writing them, I am always overcome with excitement to see if I can complete these goals or even surpass them. It's almost like a game...a life game of sorts. And I enjoy goals...
Some people think New Year's resolutions are unrealistic and depressing. I disagree. At least in my case. Making them is one thing I look forward to all year as well as keeping them. Sometimes I forget what they are and check mid-year. Sometimes I forget what they are and decide not to check just so I'll be surprised on January 1st or 2nd...and to see if I'll naturally end up doing them without realizing it was a year-long goal (which has happened and is the most exciting moment).
It's a tradition my family used to keep...creating New Year's resolutions together and then going over them as a family in early January. I'm not sure why that tradition stopped...or when...or how. But...I wish it hadn't. Thus began my little yellow book. :)

Comments

Popular Posts