Great Whale

This morning a bitter wind blows through Kitsap county and brings along with it a light wispy layer of snow on the ground. Hopefully it won't stick or continue.
Last night my dad played me Prokofiev's first Piano Concerto. For anyone who's interested or knows about such things, he wrote "Peter and the Wolf," a piece that brings back more memories to me from when I was little than I thought humanly possible.
As my dad started the first movement, it was like I was hearing myself. If that makes sense. Which it doesn't, I know. But...that's how I felt. It wasn't that the piece was necessarily the best piece I had ever heard and it knocked me off my feet...although it is great and I do love it. But it was more like...I was hearing myself. Like...it was my theme and always had been somehow. Not really sure how that's possible but...there you have it. I have listened to the first minute of the first movement of his first Piano Concerto about 15 times this morning. And every time it feels more and more ME. It reminded me of rolling waves. My dad said Prokofiev compared it to a Great Whale. And that's just what it sounds like. A Great Whale amidst rolling waves.
I can't really explain why this whole experience feels so familiar...but this is the piece I've been looking for for a long time. And I finally found it.

Comments

Popular Posts