Highland Games

What a weekend...I hope everyone had an awesome few days off. On Saturday, John and I went to the Skagit Valley Highland Games which was extremely entertaining. So much so that we spent so long there that I got pretty sun-burned even though I put sunscreen on...twice. But all is well. I'm healing up. I might have to give in and get me one of those wide brimmed hats. We'll see. We got to see plenty of bag pipe bands (can you say that? bag pipe bands? groups? troupes? whatever...), Celtic sports like caber tossing among others, Celtic dancing, sheep herding, sword fighting and random musical performances. It was pretty huge. When we first got there we were in a smaller field where a lot of the bag pipers were practicing. And I thought that was it. That was the whole festival and I was pretty surprised and disappointed cuz not much was there but then we went over a little hill and there was another HUGE field full of tents of merchants and food and a stage area and all kinds of things. They even had an animal adoption area where some animal shelters brought cats and dogs to adopt. We met up with some old friends of John's from Virginia Tech and spent most of the day with them which was fun. I think I took around 500 pictures. No...I'm not exaggerating. After a nice long day of full Celtic enjoyment, we took the bus back to Oak Harbor and got groceries for dinner. I made some curry and John grilled some chicken...and it was all very good. The next day we were entirely lazy and slept until late into the afternoon...which was very nice and needed. John had to go on base cuz he had duty later in the afternoon/evening so we went on base and I waited for him while he got a few things done (he's so cute in his flight suit...sigh.) Afterward we went to the ferry and got some ice cream across the street while we waited. I was catching the 7:30 ferry. Well...it didn't arrive until around 9 and then I didn't arrive on the other side until around 10:30. And it's supposed to be a half hour crossing. It was pretty messed up. It was semi choppy out but not nearly enough to cause that much of a delay. John and I talked on my drive home and then I got to sleep quickly...but didn't sleep well all night. It was odd. I felt pretty off yesterday...feel mostly normal today. Hopefully I'll continue to feel fine.

Comments

Popular Posts