Vet Visits

Yesterday was the kitties vet check-up and shots. I was not entirely looking forward to this visit for several reasons:
1. The last time my cats were taken anywhere in a carrier, the carrier broke in half on the way to the car and had to be duct-taped shut at the vet and the broke open two more times after picking them up from boarding. Yeah...talk about heart-attack. What made it worse is it wasn't even me experiencing the heart-attack nightmare. My friend was dropping them off for me. And she was pregnant. YIKES!
2. I finally got a new un-duct-taped carrier. It's one of those duffel baggy type carriers. It's the largest one I could find so it could fit both of my cats. But I was still extremely doubtful I could get them both in there while retaining my limbs.
3. Honestly, who really looks forward to going to the vet? I've had two cats in the history of the world that were okay at the vet. One purred so much that the vet had to sprinkle water on his head to distract him so he could listen to his heart. The other hugged and snuggled the vet. And really any person that would let him. All the others were nightmares. My cat Orange that still lives at home with my parents would scream bloody-murder the whole drive to the vet and then bellow loudly in the waiting room, terrifying both people and animals. We took her in several times because she has never-ending congestion. Our vet, however, does not believe us because by the time we get there, all the screaming and yowling completely clears her nasal passage. Huh. Nice trick there, Orange.
I was surprised at how easy it WAS to get Bean and George in the carrier together yesterday. The car ride there was pretty uneventful...but Bean panted the whole way because of nerves and it was very hot. They didn't make a peep in the waiting room or the exam room. I DID have to literally peel them out of the carrier which is definitely different from the last time they were there. At one point, the vet put George down and he crept back into the carrier and squashed himself as tightly as possible to the very back of it. Only problem was Bean was already back there. I don't know HOW she could breathe with how tightly smashed against her he was.
Results? They're doing great BUT they are a little flabby. So they are on a strict cat diet. We shall see how that goes. George is a hefty 13 pounds while Bean is 11ish. They want them down to around 10 each if possible. Pictured: George flattening himself against Bean whose glowing eyeball you can barely see in the back. Poor guys.
Lately I've had the urge to get a dog. However, I keep reminding myself that I'm out of my mind and no, I don't need a dog. Dogs take so much more work than cats. But........no, no, Rachel. NO buts. But there's still that 'but' there...

Comments

Popular Posts