Leave Day 1, 2 Buckle My Shoe

Okay...here we go! Finally.
Day 1:
Our first day of John's leave (time off), we planned to head up to Virginia relatively early. We planned it to perfection due to the fact that some old friends from China were going to be in Raleigh right when we would be driving through. We set aside a little chunk of time to share with them and were beyond glad that we did. I can't even express how awesome it was to see them, reconnect, and hear of the new changes in their lives. I've known the Lettons since I was about 4th grade and Donna was my teacher for several years at the International School in Kunming where we lived. Her second oldest was one of my close friends. They're now starting a new venture in Thailand which brings with it new challenges and blessings. It was so encouraging to talk to them and see how certain skills and dreams they had stored away years before were now coming out once more to be useful in their new mission in Thailand. I came away completely refreshed like I had downed a very tall glass of much needed water. They encouraged me to pursue learning Chinese and they prayed with me and John before we all departed (they approved of him too). It was one of the best visits I've had with old friends. We ate at the Cafe Carolina and then shortly hit the road to our next destination: Virginia! We found ourselves at John's mom Jan and stepdad Mark's house in the evening and the skies spelled rain so we went out to eat at a little Italian place called Nidos Italiano Ristorante. The waiter reminded me of a vampire and I thought of a huge long story line from this inspiration. But John crushed it a few days later with the reality of copyright laws and lawsuits. It's a long story. Sigh. Anyway...dinner was great and very, very filling. Afterwards, Jan and Mark took us on a little drive around Leesburg, Virginia. It's the cutest town and I instantly felt at home. It was cool being able to see the house that John lived in as a teenager (as well as all the embarrassing photos...hehe). We slept in John's old room which had quite possibly THE most uncomfortable bed ever. I don't know how he survived 10th grade.
Day 2:
We slept in and took our time in the morning. I was surprised by something that day. I had this preconceived notion that this entire trip would be nothing but running around and stress up the wazoo. I was actually dreading it for several weeks because I just wanted time for me and John and no one else. I know. I'm greedy. But when your husband is going to leave for 7 months, I think it's allowed. Anyways...I was surprised by something that day and further into the trip also. John had set aside time (quite a bit of time) for the two of us to be alone and spend quality time together. I expected his parents to accompany us out around town that day but they didn't. It was just me and him. And I was thrilled to have him to myself. We checked out the outlet malls first and went to the Fossil Store to see if they did watch repair. I hadn't brought my watch that afternoon so we planned to go back He took me to a place called Clyde's for lunch that he had wanted to take me to for awhile. In fact, after admiring the place as we entered, I remembered that this was the place John had wanted to have our rehearsal dinner if we had waited to get married in Virginia. Clyde's was lovely. It was made up of what looked like an old farm house whose lofty ceilings they filled with beautiful chandeliers with faux candles that gave a warm glow to the entire place. I got a portabella sandwich (to which John commented "You know...there's no meat in that, right?") and John got salmon and the whole thing was just wonderful. Very date-like. Afterward, we drove about the area and John showed me some old haunts and on a whim we decided to visit the house he grew up in as a little boy. We pulled into the driveway and John was surprised to see a giant mansion looming over his old house (this is him saying "Whoooa!"). Turns out the people that bought it from John's parents still owned it and instead of upgrading, they were building a whole new house. They had to tear down the original due to some law but I was glad John got to see it one more time before it was no more. It definitely brought back lots of memories for him and the owner was SO nice to us. He invited us in to see his garage (where John's family's old piano still sat) and basement and even gave us a tour of the new house behind...and he gave us both a Pepsi. They were a Turkish family and he ran a construction business which obviously paid well. The mansion which would be their new home was simply amazing. Vibrant colors, cascading staircase, kitchen the size of my own kitchen, kitchen nook, livingroom, and dining room combined, the whole nine yards. It was amazing really. After our last gauk at the mansion and our last farewell to John's childhood house, John wanted to make a quick stop at his former neighbor Joanne's house. We weren't sure if she'd be there but she was and it was SO nice to meet her. He'd told me a lot about her and so it was great to put a face to the name. After lots of old stories, we were on our way to meet his parents at a winery named Tarara. We enjoyed some lovely wine, chatted with an Australian girl, and enjoyed some not so lovely music in some more than lovely scenery. I almost had a my fill of fire flies (if that's possible) and enjoyed trying to catch them while John smoked a cigar. It was a great night.
To be continued...

Comments

Popular Posts