4:30

It's 7:30am. I've been awake 3 hours already. I decided to spend an extra night at John's cuz I'd rather drive in the morning than the evening. I guess it depends on the circumstance. But I do enjoy a chilly morning drive. Not sure what it is about those...but I get a lot of good thinking done. And I love watching the world wake up.
I saw the first half of the Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony this weekend. We don't have TV so I missed it when it first aired. John rented it so I (we) could see it. It was awesome. I'm excited to see the second half. It's amazing to see how creative and symbolic everything was. I'm eager to see ANYone top that performance.
Someone recently (before the Olympics, obviously) sent me a forward (evil evil...I loathe forwards...) about the Beijing Olympics, asking if China was ready for it. Then there was a series of badly translated signs in China. Although it was funny, it still kinda pissed me off. And someday if I have the time, I will make my own version, except the opposite, displaying all the misused Chinese characters that America uses on clothing, in tattoo parlors, on military patches etc. etc. etc. Don't point the finger until you read your own labels, America. I've seen wayyyyy too many people with the word "boob" or just plain gibberish tattooed on their neck. "It's my name in Chinese..." "Yeahhh...so you're name is Love? Okkkk...if you say so..."

Comments

robayre said…
Haha, this reminds me of a story I tell about some girl I was not a big fan of in college who told me about a tattoo she was having removed. She had short hair and had "courage" in chinese characters on tattooed on the back of her neck. She worked at a restaurant where there she had several asian coworkers. They were always really mean to her and would laugh at her behind her back. Finally she befriended one of her coworkers and she explained it was because she actually had "Dog $#*!" tattooed on the back of her neck. I thought it served her right for getting a tattoo in language that really meant nothing to her, just because it was trendy.
Funny enough, I just looked down and there is a tattoo magazine right next to me.
oye. i am a classic case of getting chinese symbols done that mean nothing to me but the trend. but they're pretty. much prettier than the shit we have ... A.B.C. yeah. see. not pretty. now how am i going to break the news to shanna that i must redo the tattoo we BOTH got to symbolize our friendship? great. just great.

Popular Posts