Neil

I am currently reading a book by Neil Gaiman called "The Graveyard Book." It is (as far as I know) his most recent book and as always he has not disappointed. Naturally. He won the John Newbery Medal for the most outstanding contribution to children's literature for it. This was one of the only gruesome pictures I found when searching for the book...but it is a dark book and this picture tells the story very well. Which leads me to wonder...do kids really read this?? It's dark. Deliciously dark. But...dark nonetheless. I honestly can't think of a single book by Neil Gaiman that doesn't have some sort of hint of edge. He is a fascinating writer and several of his books have become movies such as Coraline, Mirrormask, and Stardust. I never tire of his style. It's one of those styles that isn't too "far out" there. It's just right. It's so good that you feel like it's perfectly natural. I never feel like "oh it must have taken him years to come up with that expression or illustration" because...it just fits so well. He describes things in the way I think of them without realizing it. If that makes ANY sense...As soon as I read his description, I think "ohhh yeahhhh" because it's something I've thought of but never put into words. That's a gift, straight up.
I'm about half way done with The Graveyard Book. I would LOVE if they made this a movie. Love love it. I would also love to meet Neil Gaiman one day...and even more so...be able to write like this: in a perfectly natural way that makes people think "ohhh yeahhh..."

Comments

Popular Posts