Let's Play House

If the previous post didn't make it obvious, we are in our new house. After many changes in plans, John ended up arriving back in North Carolina on Tuesday at around 10pm. Very unexpected and a great surprise. Although he tried to lie to me about it to make it a surprise which didn't work. You cannot conceal these things from me. You see, I know all.
Thursday we closed on our house which was a piece of cake, despite my tense stomach which resembled the feelings brought on by childhood doctor visits. The next day we officially moved off base and to our house where the military movers arrived to deliver all of our stuff. A few hours later of sore feet and jumbled heads, everything was inside with only one missing item: a garden hose. How tragic. We've run across a few broken pieces but nothing horrible and nothing meaningful. I'm very thankful for that. My feet have grown very a custom to the floors of Walmart, Lowes and the Exchange. In the worst way. I have the most horrible feet i.e. high arches made for ballerinas and not for wandering concrete floored superstores for hours on end. So...I've been in a lot of misery the past few days. It's a welcome break from my back pain. Gosh, I'm 23! You'd think I was 90.
I'm enjoying playing house. I've never really gotten to play house. I've never really had a place of my own aside from my room. So putting a kitchen together has been a very fun venture. We are still eternally buried under mountains of boxes. But slowly day by day, we make progress. I searched out and found my clothes last night and deemed some more furniture broken to the point of not being usable. My jeans, shoes, and sweatshirt today are all items that have been packed away for the past 2 months. It feels good to be back to normal. In a very new light.
For the time being, I am working on base from the local coffee shop's quietest corner until our internet gets hooked up...which should happen tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
There is much to do...but I'm enjoying every minute and New Bern is sinking slowly into a comfy area of my heart. Most things that find their way there never leave...

Comments

Popular Posts