Road to New Bern...Day 5

"Automatic Art-o-matic!"
The morning greeted us in Santa Rosa, New Mexico. John got up early to work out and although I planned to, I slept horribly most of the trip (and for a good two weeks afterward to...evil evil hotel rooms of DOOM) so I slept in. After breakfast, we hit the road but not before I found myself being oogled by a creepy old guy who breathed as if he were on his death bed right then and there, staring cardiac arrest in the blood shot face. I was not amused to say the least and neither was John. I guess I won't be wearing shorts EVER again if that's what I get.
Day 5 found us in Texas which was flat, hot, bright, and extremely windy. I was almost blown away pumping gas at one point. We saw many sites along the way from the car. One of which was this beautiful side-of-the-road car art piece. I dig it. Along our way we stopped at a convenience store and saw this among other treasures:
I like to call it 'Constipation just WAITING to happen.'
Today was a very special day for me. We were heading to Amarillo, Texas to the Amarillo Museum of Art. Why you may ask? Because they had an Art-o-mat (read my earlier blog about Art-o-mats here!) I had researched ahead of time to see where we might be driving through to stop at an Art-o-mat and Amarillo was our best bet. The museum had some pretty awesome works in it. But I managed to tear myself away from them to find the Art-o-mat. The customer service rep seemed as excited about us using the Art-o-mat as I felt using it. I got two pieces of art. One was a foil print and one was an acrylic painting. I was disappointed in the foil print...but had to get it because I had no idea what foil printing was and wanted to find out. Overall, it was an invigorating experience and I recommend everyone go to the Art-o-mat Website and find a Art-o-mat near by to go to. It's flipping awesome. After chatting it up with the customer service rep, we scooted out the door but not before being given a poster by Georgia O'Keeffe by the man and oogling over some art (I told you he was thrilled we were there!) My favorite pieces were some HUGE quilt-like things hanging on the main walls of the museum. There were 3 and they were SO colorful and abstract and amazing. There were so many different kinds of cloth and thread...even colorful stones in the piece. They were of the pope, the Virgin Mary and Jesus. I'm not usually a huge fan of religious art because I feel like it does a poor job portraying God...but these were pretty amazing. If only they let me take a picture. :( Below is a ginormous cross of doom. I think it's pretty self explanatory actually.
We had BBQ for lunch at a ghetto little place in town then headed to the Village Bakery Cafe for a creme brulee tart. A-ma-zing. Definitely an awesome bakery. I command you to check it out if you ever find yourself in the area. (Look! Wheeler!)They are on the Top 10 Bread Makers in the Nation.
After feeding our sweet tooth, we started off to Shawnee, Oklahoma where we ate at the Santa Fe Restaurant. I had a very disappointing salad but enjoyed throwing peanut shells on the floor for the first time since living in China. Night came upon us too quickly...so we slept. To be continued...

Comments

Poster Printing said…
Great post here! I like the way you explain things, very entertaining! Appreciate you sharing this.

Popular Posts