One?

Today I listened to 'One' by U2 for the first time. Most people already probably think I'm an alien for not knowing basic things about American culture and music...but I think this recent discover that I've never heard 'One' by U2 officially gives me alien status. I almost stopped myself from listening to it today...just so I could still say I had never heard it. But then I thought eh...I still want to hear it.
I've noticed in the past few years...I don't have my freakish talent to name a song within the first 3 seconds like I used to have. I went through a period where I could name any song. It got to the point where it was ridiculous and annoying to ME. Because I couldn't stop. It's like as soon as I heard the remotest sound of music I had to tune all my hearing into it so I could figure out what it was. Exhausting after awhile. And I missed out on a lot of good conversations no doubt. My brain is musically wired. Always has been. Always will. I got that from my dad, the Music Theory Major. That is one of our biggest links. He definitely has more of the talent than I do. But I inherited his ear and I love that. We both cringe if an instrument is a fraction out of tune. We both cry during classical musical performances even if it's something neither of us have ever heard. He knows the technicality of music. And I know the raw talentless passion. He dissects the chords. I dissect the lyrics.
I'm not sure if 'One' by U2 has made me a better person. But I know my dad has.

Comments

Popular Posts