Road to New Bern...Day 6

"Nerdiful in Elvisland"
We had a late start from Shawnee, Oklahoma as we headed to our destination, Nashville, Tennessee (you can't really see it but this tower said "Oklahoma" on it). Overall this day was not all that eventful. I have to be honest! We got up, ate breakfast, hit the road, entered Arkansas, stopped at Arby's for lunch. After somehow eating our disintegrating sandwiches in the car (it was kind of like eating a salad cupped in your hands), we listened to John's nerd-audio-book "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell some more. I found myself REALLY enjoying it. Like...I was expecting to be bored to tears and sleep through it any time he played it. Because I was expecting some stock broker analyst droning on about the relativity of the market in the days of Bush compared to Clinton as opposed to communist countries in their perception of gain and loss during the 21st century of crop production. Things I don't enjoy: stocks and politics...and droning conversations. But I was very pleasantly surprised when I found myself just enthralled by John's nerdbook. Thankfully it was not about any of these things...I couldn't directly tell you what it was about because it takes some explaining. But it was fantastic and I highly recommend reading it. I'd read it again. Fo Sho.
Soon we entered Memphis, Tennessee (what is Memphis without Elvis?) and crossed the Mississippi River and saw a church the size of a University. We finished "Outliers" today and arrived in Nashville. To my excitement, we ate at a White Castle for dinner. It was our first time eating White Castle and the entire meal I couldn't stop thinking about Harold and Kumar. All the hype is richly deserved. I dig those tiny burgers.
To be continued...

Comments

Popular Posts