Spew

I have a long and interesting (covers a multitude of sins) relationship with my previous university. It has grown to be more and more interesting as the years have gone by. Let me give you a few examples.
When I first applied in 2003, I applied as early as humanly possible because I still lived overseas and the mail takes longer to reach America for obvious reasons. I did not receive my confirmation letter until close to the time when I'd be moving...in other words, MUCH later than I should have. It was literally last minute, to the point where I was not sure if I had made it in or not. The reason? Three times the school sent me my confirmation letter. Twice it ended up in Korea for the simple fact that the school decided to put my address on it upside down. I guess upside down isn't quite accurate. How about "totally effed up." Yeah that has a nice jingle to it. This is what I am talking about:
State/Province
Address
Name
...there are really no words. I mean I know that whole belief that things on the other side of the world are upside down but come on people. Last time I checked you were an accredited university. And the sugar-coated cherry on top? Now...remember I'm OVERSEAS. Notice anything missing? Like um...the COUNTRY? Yes. Seattle Pacific University failed to put the country in my address twice, wrote it upsi-I mean totally effed up...and then finally just emailed to tell me I had made it in because obviously the effort was just too much to bear.
As I said...we have a long and interesting relationship. And simply said we don't get along.
Reason 894 why I don't get along with SPU: When registering and meeting with my counselor person, she signed me up for Choir and an English class. She failed to notice the tiny detail that Choir and this particular English class happened at the same time. NIIIIICE.
Reason 895 why I don't get along with SPU: I applied for an Art Scholarship. I was to bring my portfolio to the "Art Department" (cough, cough JOKE cough...that's a story for another time/post) for "review." A few days before, I notified them that I would not be applying this year and would not be attending the review as I was considering switching schools. A few weeks later I received a charming little letter that I still have stating how IMPRESSED the "Art Department" was with my "skill" and "creativity" and that although I did not get the Art Scholarship this year, they would like to work with me further and hoped I'd try out for it next year.........wow. I wasn't even effing there, people. You saw ZERO of my work. What the CRAP are you talking about?? Wow. I think that alone deserves a moment of silence.
And to add to my ever growing list of reasons why SPU and I do NOT get along:
Yesterday, I provided the local community college with my official transcript which was in a sealed envelope. When they opened it, there were two pieces of paper. One was my transcript. The other...was someone else's. I was asked if they were both mine and I said I wasn't sure since I obviously hadn't seen them having not opened it before. After a few minutes of discussing, I peered over the adviser's shoulder that I was talking to and noticed something. That was NOT my address. In fact, that was NOT even my name. I asked to see both papers. One was indeed my transcript (Wow, SPU! Good job for getting something RIGHT!) while the other...was someone else's. Our last names weren't even similar. Our first names were similar but not spelled the same at all (but it's not like my name is that unique that someone would confuse us for being the same people). Our social security numbers were obviously different. But the fact that I had someone else's social in my hand definitely concerns me. The school took it and will, I assume, either send it back or shred it.
So there you have it. That in a nut shell gives you a little glimpse into my "interesting" relationship with SPU. Do I regret dropping out for a second? Never.

Comments

Popular Posts