Noodle Love

It's funny where you find yourself sometimes.
Tonight I found myself drinking Momosas, watching a badly acted Brittany Murphy movie (she acted fine...it was just everyone else acting badly) and feeling extremely homesick for the first time in a long time. The movie was called Ramen Girl and is about a girl who trains to be Ramen Chef in Japan after her boyfriend abandons her. There's one point where she goes into a closed Ramen shop and cries her eyes out until the owners fix her some ramen. She sobs into the noodles and as she eats them, they bring her relief. I can relate to that so much. And in that moment, during this stupid movie, I got a huge lump in my throat and missed home in China so much. Missed those noodles, even though mine were Chinese not Japanese. Missed those little noodle shops. How I would love to go back...someday...
It's funny how in other countries restaurants can refuse to serve you things. For example, I read a blog about a girl who requested alcohol be added to some fresh fruit juice she ordered. The restaurant refused, saying the fruit juice was made to be enjoyed on its own. Funny how Americans need to have everything their OWN way and often miss the enjoyment of trying things that are traditionally a certain way for a reason. I think about food a lot I think. Yeah I do. Maybe I should become a chef. Hmmm...that could either be a very bad thing or a very good thing.
The truth is...very few people know I can cook. They've heard I can but few people actually taste my cooking. I just realized that. John does every day. But I rarely bring things to potlucks (I'm still so used to being the "single girl" who never brings anything...keep forgetting I CAN and SHOULD cook for things) and never have people over to our house for dinner. It's very strange. I realized I had a total of 2 people to my house while John was away. TWO PEOPLE. IN SIX MONTHS. WHAT THE CRAP IS WITH THAT. I don't even know...but it's not normal. I need to be more social. One thing that makes me uncomfortable is most of my friends have kids and I don't feel like my house is very kid-friendly. There's like...NOTHING for kids to do at my house. Our TV is upstairs in the bonus room a.k.a. art studio. And kids and art supplies don't mix. They would if I'd ever get that place organized...maybe...
John has a night flight tonight. And tomorrow night. Being alone reminds me how it feels to be alone on deployments. Only this "alone" is comforting...because deep down I know he'll be home in a few hours.
I'm not even hungry...but what I'd give for a big bowl of those noodles. I need to get some of those bowls so I can make noodles. STAT.

Comments

Kaley said…
I think it's time you fly out for a visit to San Francisco. 1) it's a heck of a lot closer than China. 2) I'm pretty awesome and we should hang out again after all these years. 3) we have noodles. Lots of noodles. Japanese, Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean....
If not for a fun visit, come for the noodles. :)
Umm...I concur. I've heard San Fran is great in the Asian department and yes, we do need to hangout after all these years! And I need me some noodles ASAP. Hmm...a plan should be devised.
Monique said…
This might seem like a dumb question to some, but what is that white thing in with the red swirl in the ramen noodle bowl?
I believe it's a slice of fishcake. That's what google said anyway. Heh.

Popular Posts