Vanessa

I discovered a new song several weeks ago. It never hit me how deep and profound it was until I watched the video yesterday. Now...if you're like me...you enjoy a good artsy music video but as that one comedian guy once said "If a music video of a song is exactly what you pictured when you heard it, GO KILL YOURSELF RIGHT NOW." Now I don't think you should necessarily kill yourself if you pictured a bunch of latex clad alien monsters when you heard 'Bad Romance' but...he has a point. Music videos are on crack. Nuff said.
To the point. I watched this one and although it was on an album that didn't do so well...I've gotta say I have fallen head over heels in love with this song. It is so honest and it tells so many different stories, there are entire forums dedicated to translating what it "means."
Like many people out there, I found myself snicking my nose in the air reading Vanessa Carlton's biography. I mean, come on. She's a ballerina. She sings. She plays piano. She has a record deal. She's beautiful and has legs for miles. One of those multi-talented artists. But then I realized something and it kinda smacked me across the face a few times followed by a splash of cool water: I know a lot of people would say the same for me. I write. I sing. I used to write music (and still do on my phone sometimes...shh...don't tell). I draw/paint. I take pictures. I acted back in the day and loved every second of it.
I don't say these things to boast. On the contrary, sometimes I consider them my biggest burdens. The banes of my existence, if you will. The blessings and the curses. This all reminded me to get that nose back in its place and remember...being able to do lots of things is not always as it seems. As I very well know. As Vanessa displays and tells in her bio, it is a struggle and I'm sure it's hard for people to understand WHY it's a struggle when all they see is talent when they look at her. But I'll tell you this. CHOOSING is one of the hardest things. I'm not entirely sure it's possible. I'm really not. And that's what I always feel like I NEED to do: choose. But I think I'm learning that maybe that's not the answer. Maybe I am able to do lots of things because I should DO lots of things. Maybe I shouldn't concentrate on mastering one but mastering several. Vanessa herself is not pursuing music alone but dance also after it seemed she had given it up altogether.
I was never a huge fan of Vanessa. The song '1000 Miles' drove me near the brink of craziness one summer. But after 'White Houses' and hearing snippets of her newest album (which I want)...I'm starting to see the bigger picture and truly appreciate this very multi-talented artist. I'm hoping 'Heroes & Thieves' is what 'One Cell in the Sea' by A Fine Frenzy is to me when I hear it.

Comments

Kristi said…
I LOVE this song!! I haven't heard it in years! Good call digging up the video--it makes me feel like dancin'!

Popular Posts