Spring Cleaning

I've been purging myself of crap I don't need lately, including but not limited to: makeup, clothing, random crap, jewelry, etc.
When I lived in China, the community of "foreigners" (meaning non-Chinese people) recycled everything. And by recycle I mean we rarely threw things away before offering them to each other. 9 times out of 10, someone else found a use for something you no longer needed, wanted, or fit. Makeup was one of those things. Now some people may think this is unsanitary but you can certainly get around that aspect by wiping down makeup before using it. My friends and I often traded around makeup and nail polish when we found we weren't using certain parts of our makeup collections. Because of this value for savoring things and waste-not want-notting, I have a habit of saving things. Forever. It's been a problem that I am learning to overcome. The issue is not that I horde. I don't and I find hording very, very, very gross. It's just more...I keep things much longer than I should. It all stemmed from not being able to buy certain things while in China. To remedy this dilemma, we would buy several months/years supplies of items we would need and would ration them out over the next 2 years or however long it would be before we could buy a replacement supply. Mind you, China is not much like this anymore. You can get most everything you need/want and more now. But that experience me taught me to savor things and use small quantities. I feel like someone who lived through the depression or something sometimes...
Anyway...when I moved out of my parents house last year, I found lotions from literally 6+ years before. And if you didn't already know, lotions and makeup and body products only stay good for so long before they lose their scent and become useless. I'm learning to stop rationing my stuff and USE it rather than treasuring it for a rainy day. But it's hard.
With this habit comes a sense of satisfaction in tiny things: finishing a bottle of shampoo or lotion or a palette of makeup is more gratifying than I could ever explain. It makes me feel good about myself, that I FINISHED it and did not waste it. When I do not finish something and don't intend to, I try to offer it to someone else in case they can find a use for it.
I went through my makeup yesterday and threw a pile together of the items I haven't used and know I will not use. But my hesitation now is...do Americans share their stuff like this? Would it be weird to offer one of my friends my makeup? I must note that I'm talking about barely used items hence why I'm getting rid of it. I'm not talking about the lingering worn edges of a heavily used eyeshadow palette. So is that considered weird here? Or is that just a thing girls do? I'm thinking/hoping its the latter. But we shall see.
Needless to say, I feel a sense of success and satisfaction knowing that I've been organizing my life and ridding myself of unneeded THINGS. I still have a long ways to go but I am making progress in leaps and strides and flaunty walking. Yes. Flaunty walking.

Comments

Popular Posts