Road to New Bern...Day 3

"Great Juicy Holes in the Ground"
As I said before, my night in Needle was restless. For breakfast, our hotel didn't provide a dining room but gave you coupons for a complimentary breakfast at a place called "Juicy's Cafe." Questionable name...for an unending list of reasons. But...you know what...whatever. For as Podunk as Needles is, the food we tried turned out to be pretty decent. Never, ever judge a book by its cover. Except John. He looks cute and cuddly and he really IS cute and cuddly. We hit the road after breakfast and officially entered Arizona...but not after buying a 4 pack of Route 66 Rootbeer which I have to say was the best friggin rootbeer I've ever had. No joke. After making a rootbeer toast to the road, we enjoyed listening to some Muse (must blog about them soon) and headed to our first tourist attraction along the way on our trip: the Grand Canyon.
I can't really come up with words to describe the Grand Canyon. It's one of those wonders of the world that...makes me almost want to *forget* my camera because taking pictures feels so pointless; it's SO vast and uncapturable. I don't think that's a word...but now it is.
It's just incredible. All the postcards and posters don't and can't do it justice. After oogling at the amazingly unbelievable view (literally...a few times I turned to John and said "This is fake, right? They just have a big canvas backdrop hung up.") for awhile, we oogled the overpriced gift shops and went to lunch (before nearly passing out from starvation...can you tell by my expression?) with a view of the canyon. Our waitress just so happened to be from Whidbey Island! Small world.
After lunch we hit the shops again and John got me a prize. :) A tiny silver charm of a train with a little flag saying "Grand Canyon." What can I say...he spoils me a bit. After view-oogling some more, we hit the road to Flagstaff and stayed at another Hampton Inn. I think we stayed at Hampton Inn's the rest of the trip actually. We arrived pretty early and felt pretty sluggish so we hit the gym and swam in the pool for a bit. By the time we were finished though, everything seemed to be closed so...getting dinner was a bit of a task. We finally found a Chili's and that made do.

Comments

Rebekah said…
Now was the name of the charm company just a bonus? ;) cute!
I know! Isn't that funny?? John got a kick out of that.

Popular Posts