House?

On the subject of houses: we found out over the weekend that the house we were planning on buying (our close date was the 15th of April) had a problem. A very serious problem. Crap. We (thankfully) had a house inspection done just to make sure everything was fine and dandy. Well it wasn't. There was around 70% wood rot in the foundation of the house in the crawl space. Yeah...crap. So we were pretty bummed. We got an estimate for what the repairs would cost and when we were quoted over 5 grand, we decided to withdraw our offer. Back to the drawing board, as they say! What we still haven't quite figured out is this: they had an inspection a year ago...containing the same info: lots of wood rot. So...they fixed like...2% of the problem and remodeled the kitchen. Pretty sketchy if you ask me. WHY in the name of houses would you NOT fix the issue that is going to lose you more money in the long run? People...dumb people.
Unfortunately our second choice house had already been bought by some friends of ours (glad they got it and not someone else!) but we had a few ideas for what we might pursue otherwise. We looked at houses Saturday and Sunday and thought we had come to a decision by Sunday late afternoon but changed our minds at the last minute. I was feeling pretty blue Sunday night and Monday morning. I just want a place to LIVE already. I'm tired of living out of a suitcase and getting little sleep because of crappy beds. It's getting to the point where I am almost ready to throw the house idea out the window and rent some place. I know...cranky cranky cranky...I'm sorry...but it happens. But I just kept praying and asking others to pray. Then voila: We saw a house we really liked in a neighborhood John loved because it was a very short drive from base and it was a desirable area. The issue was this: our good friends were looking at the same house and saw it first. And frankly...I wouldn't even look at the house as a possibility. I am a very loyal person and if I think something might raise drama between me and a friend...chances are I'm going to avoid it at all cost. So that's what I did Sunday when John started talking about that house: avoidance. I did/do NOT want to pursue that house without their "okay" on it. After toil and turmoil and stress and frustration with each other, we got the word from our friends and they said they would probably end up building a house since this house didn't have all the specs they wanted. The result? We have a house! Well...not completely. We made an offer last night which will be finalized today. We will hear today whether or not it is accepted and then I will head over to the property and talk with the builder about picking out paint, fixtures, floors, surfaces, etc. Did I mention it's a new house and I get to do that? Yipppeeeee!!

Comments

Popular Posts