Brandi

The other day, I was smacked in the face by a singer I discovered: Brandi Carlile. I started listening to a song of hers and immediately fell off my chair as the second stanza of lyrics began. Wow. Big voice. And very well hidden at first. Listen to her song 'Story' and you'll see what I mean. I thought she was a lot older because her voice is very mature. Kinda like mine. ;) I wiki-searched her today and she's just a year older than John. And from Washington. Smalllll world.
I have a feeling this is the beginning of a very long and happy vocal love affair. How I love voices and what people can do with them.
When I first heard Brandi belt it out, I felt like I was hearing what I could sound like...what I want to be able to do when I'm back in vocal shape. If that makes sense. It's like meeting a version of myself, I guess. I feel like my understanding of how to "sound" has evolved SO much in the past year or two. The flaws in voices aren't flaws. They make a voice what it is. And I'm learning to accept mine.
P.S. She does of a cover of "Creep" by Radiohead that's TO DIE for on her myspace page.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love brandi carlile too. Alas, I once had tickets to go see her. She was opening up for another amazing act, ray lamontagne and as I adore both it was going to be the ultimate show. As the day of the show approached and I had not received my ticket yet, I called ticketmaster to find out if I'd be able to print it out. Instead I find out that it came back to them undeliverable for whatever reason and instead of trying to contact me by phone or email they just gave the open ticket to someone else and refunded my money. I will ALWAYS be sad about that missed opportunity, as I'm sure they will never play again together.
Oh man that SUCKS!! I've not had the greatest experiences with ticketmaster either. I was snowed in this past Christmas and had bought my family tickets to go to see a play as their Christmas present. Ticketmaster refused to refund them even though there was NO humanly way we could have made it DOWN the street let alone to the ferry and somehow to the theatre once in Seattle. Very disappointing.

Popular Posts