Houston, We Have Contact!

It's official. I have contacts...in my eyes!! This is definitely a first. Yes, I'm 23 (almost 24!) years old and I've never had contacts before. Some people would think that pretty crazy. But honestly I never really had a real need. I was fine with glasses and for most of my life glasses weren't meant for constant wear anyway. Just classroom and distance when I started driving. But as I've done more photography, I've noticed the need more and more for contacts. I can't tell when I'm focused on something sometimes...and that's not okay.
I'm the world's best procrastinator when it comes to doctors. I can put them off for YEARS. In fact, I haven't been to the dentist in about 5 (years that is). Yeah I know. Ew.
I've been putting off my eye appointment mostly because I simply forgot and then it just wasn't convenient. But then I started getting headaches and noticed my vision had gotten worse. And I realized it had been about 2 years since my last appointment. So I finally cracked down and made one. I'm so glad I did. However, I don't remember having my eye touched before. I feel like a jerk now. Several months ago my coworker told me she was about to go in for an eye exam and was a little nervous about them touching her eye. I said "HA! KAT! They don't TOUCH your eye, silly."............and then there I was today having my eyes fondled. So...sorry Kat. :) I REALLY didn't know. I swear I've never had that done before. At least I didn't faint like my aunt did. Hehehehehehe...blackmail.
Now brace yourselves because I must share about my previous eye exam experience. There was a small clinic located in the Target parking lot where I used to live. First warning sign: Target Parking Lot. When I first noticed it, I thought to myself "Self? I've never noticed an eye clinic over there by Target!" And soon I learned there was a REASON I had never noticed it aside from the fact it was the size of a postage stamp. The reason was because it is the most SHADY SKETCHY clinic I've ever been to aside from clinics in third world countries. And I have been to some pretty shady clinics. I have also met other people who have gone to this particular place and who have had the same experience. FOR EXAMPLE...the actual exam rooms were closets. Yes. I believe they were literal closets. The one in which I met with the actual "doctor" was filled to the brim with boxes like they had just moved in or it was...say...perhaps...ehem...AN ACTUAL CLOSET. After my exam, I was taken back to the lobby to choose some glasses. Enter Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. The receptionist (Tweedle Dee) said "Well if you find a pair you think you might like, we can write down the number and then when you decide for sure you can give us a call." I browsed around and found a pair that suited me so I brought them to the counter and stated "I think I'll go with these." My error was I said "think." This threw off the next 20 minutes.
"Okay!" She said. "I'll just write down the number and when you decide, you give us a call." I blinked.
"Oh...well...I have decided. These are the ones I want."
"Yeah dear. So I'll write it down here, see? And then you can give us a call when you decide. I'll give you a business card."
"......no, you don't understand. These are the ones I want. I want these. I would like to get these glasses."
"Here's a card honey. Don't be shy, just give us a call when you know for sure."
And so went the next 20 minutes. I KID YOU NOT. I was being as PLAIN as day and it just was NOT getting through to this woman. I felt like I was speaking English as a second language or something. Finally I said "What would I need to do if I decided these were the ones that I would like to have?" The receptionist, of course, repeated that I just needed to call. So I firmly stated "Well I have decided. These *holding up* are the ones I have chosen. I have chosen these. I have decided. The decision has been made. These are the ones I want. NOW." Tweedle Dee finally buckled and filled out the forms, slightly annoyed...since I had been OH SO DIFFICULT. Then I went to Tweedle Dum, the one who needed to try to sell me every lens coating known to man (and no they don't work...they never have...they never will...so DON'T GET COATINGS). After several questions, Tweedle Dum asked if I wanted polarized lenses. I wasn't entirely sure what that meant so I asked her what that was. She "explained" by tapping her finger nail on the lens of the frames I had chosen. The frames I had chosen happened to be sunglasses. So...think this through for a minute. How does *taptap* explain ANYTHING about anything? Is she saying polarized means plastic? Tinted? Clear? Easily scratch-able? WHAT THE HECK IS SHE TRYING TO SAY? So I asked her again and she answered by once again tapping the lenses and saying "Like this." After going through this several times I finally said "sure" and let it rest (until now of course).
After I finally received my glasses, I always felt like the prescription was off. And I know prescriptions always feel weird when they're new. But I'm talking OFF. When I changed jobs, my now coworker/friend told me she had been to the same place for an eye infection. The receptionist proceeded with walking her through a regular eye exam even though she specifically explained her situation and that she had an appointment for an infection. After getting a few minutes into the exam, she asked the reception what they were doing and the receptionist replied that they were doing an eye exam. My coworker then had to RE-explain her situation, that she wasn't here for an eye exam, she was here due to an infection. Finally, the lady got it but I mean come ON. Seriously? What do I have to do? Bleed on you?
Needless to say, I never went back.
I was extremely impressed with the doctor I saw today and am happy to say there was nothing shady about this clinic. Woot for unshady clinics.

Comments

Popular Posts