Wicked

I can NOT believe I haven't blogged about this yet.
If you don't already know, I have a deep, deep, deep adoration for musicals. Like...if I had the choice to make my life a musical and everyone was constantly dancing through the streets singing and prancing about, I would SO take it.
One musical I've wanted to see for several years even though I knew very little about it was Wicked. When my friend Katie came to visit for my birthday, she commanded me to get the soundtrack and then go and see it because it was amazing. My mom gave me the soundtrack for Christmas and I whipped it out as soon as I was back in NC. One word: WOW. I am sooooooooo freaking in love with this musical. So after listening to the soundtrack on repeat for a week or so (no exaggeration there...no really...I'm being serious), I dropped the hint to John and asked if we could go. He said yes, I looked it up online and voila...it was coming to Durham in April and May. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's just say I was excited. And I'm even more excited now that I have TICKETS IN HAND! We're going to see WICKED!!!! I am beyond ecstatic.
After taking a little break from the soundtrack, I whipped it out again yesterday and am loving every second. It gives me chills and makes me cry and I haven't even seen it! So this is going to be very good.
I'm a very emotional person when it comes to art, especially artistic performance. When I saw My Fair Lady with my mom, I BAWLED when Elisa Doolittle sang her first note of 'Wouldn't It Be Loverly.' It's just what I do. I can't really control it. With My Fair Lady, it was personal. I've been watching the My Fair Lady movie since I was a wee lass and so seeing it LIVE was just so unreal and heart wrenchingly wonderful. With Wicked, I almost feel the same way because I've been watching the Wizard of Oz since I was tiny. And I know it's not the same but it's a side story to a story that's very dear to my heart. My mom had a Wizard of Oz obsession before she had kids and it fully carried over to me. And someday when Wicked goes to Seattle, I plan to treat her to see it.
So come May, I will be on cloud nine anticipating "going green" and seeing Wicked. My only wish is that I could see the original cast including Kristin Chenoweth (she's in Pushing Daisies too!) and Idina Menzel since I love them both and think they both bring so much to the show. But I know it's still going to be freaking awesome. John will have to endure all my excitement squealing and song-singing.

Comments

robayre said…
Rachel, once again I totally relate about the bawling thing. Whenever I go see musicals I can't help but cry. First the curtains open and I see the set and the actors come out and my body gets completely covered in goosebumps. The moment they start singing it's like sensory overload and I just can't help but cry. It's kind of embarrassing because nothing is sad and I try to hide my face so no one sees the tears running down my cheeks.
oh and you'll love wicked! I had the fortune to see it when my sister in law took all of her bridesmaids to see it as our wedding gift.
Katie said…
w00t... mentioned in your blog... LOVE IT :) almost as much as i love wicked ;)

Popular Posts