GASP

I think I've lost track of how many Neil Gaiman blogs I've posted but here's another.
For some time, I've been on a sort of casual search for someone I already admire who has not gone and gotten a degree. I thought it might have been J.K. Rowling but turns out she has. So I've just been fidgeting around, reading up on people when I think of it when *VOILA* it falls in my lap.
I was reading Neil Gaiman's interview in the New Yorker here when it came up.
Neil Gaiman has not been to college or university. I could faint. I am just so dumbfounded that all this time it was HIM. I was looking all around me for an author that I KNEW had succeeded without a further education and it was HIM of all people! One of my very favorites ever and one of the most descriptive and beautiful writers I've ever run across. Neil, you will never know how encouraging it is to learn this about you.
On a completely unrelated sorry-I-even-associated-it-with-you-Neil-Gaiman side note, I just randomly ran across a blog by a lady and she described wearing a bra SO perfectly. Read (she's listing keywords and phrases that people have used to find her blog):

Girls funny stories about bras

I'm assuming this is a guy because we girls are tormented by bras, and rarely find them funny. To him I say: Try attaching two heavy sacks to your chest and hold them together with a strap and two strings. How funny is it now? Not so much, right? What's that you say? Backache? Yeah I thought so.

Holy crap that's so accurate. It almost take the humor out of it. Except not. It's one of those bittersweet subjects, really. All the girls with smaller chests shoot you daggers if you complain about your boobs but if they really knew what it was like not fitting all the clothing in entire stores, contemplating looking in plus size clothing stores even though you're not even close to plus sized, or just the overall backache/weight/carrying around a child strapped to your chest 24/7 experience, they might just zip it. We all want to be each other. I have this weird twisted mental picture of myself as this flat, skin-and-bones Asian girl when in reality I'm quite the opposite. Most days, I'd kill to just wear a summer dress but I can't unless I want to look like a crack-whore who is advertising. So I say why don't we ALL stop complaining, look at ourselves in the mirror and actually appreciate what's there because, believe me, there truly is a lot to appreciate. Nobody looks like you. Nobody has what you have. Revel in that fact.

Comments

Unknown said…
I laughed so hard to the bra thing...I totally relate!

Popular Posts