Diversity Under Pressure

The pressure is beginning. But thankfully God has helped me stay calm and my stress level very low. I got what sounds like final news yesterday:
1. Our move date is the 25th.
2. The military won't move my car.
3. I have to move all my stuff to John's house in order for the military to move it. They won't move it from my house because I'm considered out of the area.
This definitely makes things "interesting" but I'm not going to panic about it because this is just the way it is...and I started packing awhile ago regardless so really...I'm ahead of the game.
Thanks to people who have been helpful or supportive. It is appreciated. I got at least 5 boxes packed last night and began lining everything up in the living room so that it'll be easily accessible when we get a truck to move it all. I started packing up my desk at work today. A very sad moment I must say. It's weird being at such a bare desk now. I don't like it. I just want to move so I can hurry up and unpack and get settled.
Today my Starbucks cup read:
People need to see that, far from being an obstacle, the world's diversity of languages, religions and traditions is a great treasure, affording us precious opportunities to recognize ourselves in others. -Youssou N'Dour, Musician
I like that. And I agree with it. I believe there is only one God but I do believe people get too caught up in believing our differences are a bad thing while completely missing the point...that we were made diverse and that's what makes the world interesting. That's why it bugs me when I meet people who have no concept of diversity or culture. I believe every American child should live overseas for a minimum of 6 months...just to have the experience of being exposed to a different culture. And no...Mexico and Canada don't count...unless it's like...primitive old-school Mexico. I wish we all could just get along and get over the fact we may not agree on EVERY subject.
I was visited by some Mormon missionaries at my house last night. I think I definitely threw them for a loop when I told them, Why yes, I had talked to missionaries before, in fact I was a missionary in China for 14 years. My talk with them was actually pretty enjoyable and they were very friendly. I don't agree with their beliefs but it was cool to be able to have a normal conversation and even though they were trying to convert me...it was nice to interact in a friendly way and not get all huffy about the whole idea. I was gracious and thanked them for their invitations. I wished later that I had asked them in for tea so I could have a friendly debate with them but it slipped my mind at the time. Next time. Definitely next time.

Comments

Katie said…
"Our move date is the 25th."

I can't wait until you're on this side of the states!!

"I believe every American child should live overseas for a minimum of 6 months...just to have the experience of being exposed to a different culture. And no...Mexico and Canada don't count...unless it's like...primitive old-school Mexico"

I SO agree!

<3 Katie Donovan

Popular Posts