Fireworks Over Victoria

This adventure has begun...or at least it almost has. We will hit the road tomorrow.
Yesterday I said my last goodbyes; my grandma and my cats. I don't think my cats understood I was really leaving...or maybe they did and just didn't want to admit it. I think it will sink in within a few days. My grandma was the final person remaining on my list so I tried to dedicate an entire afternoon to her. It was nice to spend some time with her and hear more old stories that I will force myself to remember, relish and treasure while I'm far away. After being stranded at her house for a little bit (I shipped my car the night before so I was without vehicle...answer your phones people...), I ran some last minute errands and then my family and I headed over to Port Townsend for a goodbye dinner with John. It started snowing midway and we worried the ferry might get canceled but thankfully it wasn't and we enjoyed hot tea and amazing Japanese food (not sushi) at the place John and I had our second date, Hanazono Asian Noodle. Afterward we finished off the evening with Bubble Tea from a little place connected to Khu Larb Thai. It was definitely a very surreal day. Heck it's been a surreal month. Even when we caught the ferry it still didn't feel like it was really time to say 'goodbye.' I found myself finally feeling the 'leaving' realization sink in while we watched the lights of Port Townsend pulling away from us in the darkness from the windows on the ferry. I watched them until all I could see were tiny twinkling remnants of the Port Townsend waterfront. John noticed to the right of where we were looking along the horizon there were tiny fireworks going off in Victoria. It was a celebration in the middle of feeling my first taste of homesickness in America. I honestly never thought I'd ever grow attached to a place in America...but after over 4 and a half years (still feels like 6 months) in Washington, I'm definitely going to miss it here.

Comments

Popular Posts