The Lion, The Dragon, and the Water Buffalo

Some people say Year of the Cow or Ox but I've always said the Year of the Water Buffalo. I think it's because I love water buffalo and in a lot of Chinese art used for Chinese New Year and zodiac, they depict water buffalo. They're very tame. At least the ones I've come in contact with in China have been. This year is the Year of the Water Buffalo. And it's my year.
This past Saturday John and I got up early and drove down to Seattle to drink in the sights and sounds of the Chinese New Year celebration in Seattle's Chinatown. We weren't disappointed. It seemed at first that we were running a little late. As we drove by the base in Oak Harbor, I got to see a P-3 and a Prowler up-close and personal for the first time. This was extremely exciting for me...more than I honestly expected from myself. I found myself whirling my head around to catch another glimpse out each window of the car as they passed by. It was like seeing my first airplane again. Except a super cool airplane that kicks ass. This was the first highlight of my day.
As we took our exit to enter Seattle, we realized to our surprise that we were rather early. So we stopped by the Seattle Underground Tour to get some tickets for their 3:00pm tour. Then we found parking near the Chinatown gate where the festivities would begin. 1 short year ago, John and I enjoyed these same festivities in Seattle...on our 4th date. (Note: the photos below are my own. :) )But last year everything was held in the old Train Station and they have since started renovating that building so this year everything took place outdoors. We found the gate quickly and began snapping shots of the crowds gathered, waiting for everything to begin. Quickly, we heard drums down the road and over the tops of peoples' heads we could see the shiny, flashy costumes of the Dragon and Lion dancers. I was SO excited and could tell John was too. I can't really describe adequately how awesome it was seeing Lion and Dragon dancers again...it just brought me right back to when I was little.
The drums paused for a moment as everyone got ready to begin and then suddenly it all took off. The Dragon began it's spiral as the crowd watched with delight and shortly the firecrackers began going off. The Lion Dancers joined in with dancing and flirting with the crowd (they bat their eyes at people. It's flippin awesome.) They definitely couldn't compete with the magnitude of firecrackers you'd get in China during Chinese New Year but I'm sure there's laws restricting how much they can or can't do here. After the smoke cleared, the dancers began making their way up the street, leading the crowd to a small pavilion with activities inside. Unfortunately, it was a lot smaller this year but it was still fun and we got to see some calligraphy artists as well as an Er Hu player. After awhile we began to grow hungry, so we left the pavilion and found our way down to a Chinese Restaurant I had been once before. It's always crowded and today it was even more so because of all the activity in the streets. We waited for 20 minutes when suddenly we began hearing the drums played for the dancers again. We peered outside and were surprised to see the Lion Dancers had followed us to the restaurant! It is customary for business owners to hire Lion Dancers to visit their shops on Chinese New Year as a way to bless their business for the New Year. A "treat" was hung from the doorpost for the Lions (cabbage, an orange and a little red envelope with money in it) and after lighting off another string of fireworks, the Lions somehow squeezed their way into the crowded restaurant and visited each table (so everyone could pet them) until finally greeting the owners. They exited again and ate the "treat" waiting for them on the door frame. Then after some ceremonial wiggling, they tossed their cookies and threw the cabbage all over the door step. I love Chinese New Year! The traditions all have meaning but to all the Americans out there, it all looks like complete nonsense. It's great. :) After all the festivities had passed, we finally got seated and I was able to use my Chinese to order (although I had to throw out some English) and the waitress complimented me on my ability but she finished by saying "It's a good beginning!" Not exactly what someone who lived in China 14 years wants to hear about their language ability...but I can't take it too harshly. I haven't been able to use it for months if not years at a time. So...get over it Rachel.
I hope everyone had an amazing Chinese New Year...even if they were completely unaware of it.

Comments

Popular Posts