Commissioning

So a lot has changed. And this is why.
I mentioned awhile back that I got my first real commission. This is true. I finished it a few days before Christmas and mailed it off to its final destination. I didn't hear much after that besides that it had indeed arrived and my friend was excited to give it to her husband (she had decided to do something extra special for him since this was his first Christmas home in a few years...just like John). I honestly forgot about it. We had Christmas, went to Washington, (which I WILL write more about...I was planning on copying the photos from John's computer this weekend but completely forgot...so...we'll have to wait a bit), and somewhere in the middle of the trip I thought of it again. I texted my friend to ask how its reception had gone; did he like it? How had the reaction been?
The response was overwhelming. She said they all adored it and were so excited to get it framed. I was ecstatic, of course, and again forgot about it for awhile. Last week, I remembered I hadn't uploaded it to my album on facebook of artwork and since it was past Christmas and now "safe" to do so, I went ahead and did it. This is where it got REALLY overwhelming. But in a REALLY good way. The response on facebook was insane. I had comments from friends of friends asking how they could reach me. I had friends raving up and down about it and asking where they could get theirs. Since then (that was last Monday), I've been asked to do six art commissions ranging everywhere from pin-ups to musician tour promotional art to pet portraits. INSANE, I'm telling you.
Now the piece I did is just a cellphone picture. The colors are a lot more vibrant...it's just better in person. They have since framed it which looks awesome. I LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing works I've done framed and on peoples' walls. It's a huge compliment and I just appreciate being able to see it. I enjoyed doing this piece a lot. Surprisingly, I had a lot more trouble doing the dad's hair than anything else in the picture. I was pleased with the finished product and was confident they would like it...but never did I think it would generate this much attention and from complete strangers.
All I can say now is I'm grateful and very, very overwhelmed. I'm trying to stay calm and pace myself as I know that I am 1. a full-time student 2. pregnant, and 3. can only do so much. But the fact that this has all happened so fast brings me SO much joy and the encouragement has been through the roof. I am so excited to see what I am still capable of as I continue to learn.
So...I am busy. And I might be booked up for a little while. But if you're interested in getting any work done, shoot me a message or comment on this post. We might be able to work something out. :)
Photo: Meself

Comments

Melissa said…
Woo hoo!!!!! That is super excited, I am really happy for you :)

Popular Posts