3

3 years ago today was our wedding day; I married my best friend and since that day we've only grown closer. Every day of marriage has been better than the last and God has strengthened us each passing day. Just having John in my life, even amid the periods of time apart, has made me happier in so many ways. My life is richer, more fun, and always brighter because of him. As my dad said it the day John asked for my hand, "John, you are Rachel's antidepressant." And it's true. Of all the things I thought I wanted and needed in a husband, John surpasses all of them. And has so many traits I would have never thought of but which I could not survive without if I tried now. Just another reason proving how much better God knows me than I know myself.
So, technically, we have still yet to spend our anniversary DAY together. But we made it a point to spend this past weekend together since our first two anniversaries were spent apart and we were not about to be without each other the entire week of our anniversary.
On Thursday I drove up to Norfolk, Virginia, where John is going through some training for a month. When he got off work on Friday, he surprised me with a huge bouquet of roses and lilies. All weekend his hotel room smelled of them. That night we got to see some old friends who used to be in our former squadron who lived in the area. It was great catching up with them. Saturday we explored and had our anniversary dinner at McCormick & Schmick's; the first time we ever ate at a McCormick & Schmick's was one of our last nights in Seattle when we first moved away in 2009. The second time was this past Christmas trip back to WA. It was marvelous, romantic, and delicious and I felt like we were back on one of our dates. Has it really been three years? The rest of the weekend we had adventures, explored some more, ate good food, saw giant ships and carriers and even a sub, and saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. (Yes. Believe you me there is going to be a separate post about this. There is MUCH MUCH MUCH to be said. So keep your eyes peeled. Hint: it'll be BEFORE the Christmas posts. ;)) The final highlight of the weekend was on Friday night when John got to feel our Baby Chickpea kick for the first time. He'd felt her overall form before (because she likes to park in the front of my tummy in the early mornings) but never her kick. He felt her again on Sunday. :)
I left late Monday afternoon and as I pulled out of the parking lot and watched him walk back into his building, I couldn't help getting choked up. It's funny how we have gone through extended periods apart and yet just being away from him for a few weeks still cuts deep; every time I drive away from him, my heart breaks a little. It really does. Thankfully, the feeling is mutual.
It was a simple weekend, a relaxing weekend, and the best anniversary weekend I could ask for. I love you SO MUCH, John. Thank you for being there for me always. You make me strong.

Comments

Popular Posts