The Life of Books

I did it. I finished reading the book Flags of Our Fathers. It marks a few firsts for me. It is one of the first nonfiction historical books I've FINISHED and enjoyed. It's also the first book about the military or the Marines I've ever read. It was definitely a very emotional read but by far one of the best books I've ever gotten through. From beginning to end. I would put it in my top 3 favorites of all time. Yes. All time. If you are a Marine or are directly or indirectly connected to a Marine in any way, this book should be read. That's my opinion.
It took me a long time to get through this book for a variety of reasons: being about Marines, it's close to home. It's very heavy subject matter. And finally...it is a pretty big book to read! I'm now stumped trying to think of what to read next. All the girly boneless books suggested at the book club I go to make me nauseous just to think about...and I regret admitting I've already bought two of them. (I don't enjoy getting books from libraries. For several reasons...firstly, I like books so I like to keep books. I like the idea of having my OWN library. I also don't really like reading books a billion other strangers have handled. Call me a germophobe. Although that has little to do with it. If not nothing at all. Heh. I also rough my books up a bit in the process of reading them and I'm always worried the library would fine me for book-abuse. So no luck. No libraries for me.) I admit I do need to do more research before actually buying a book. But I always avoid borrowing books from friends. The last time I did that was from my cousin and I ended up buying her a new copy because I felt so bad that the copy she loaned me looked so banged up. I can't help it. My bags give them a beating.
Now...on to finding a new book to tickle my fancy...

Comments

Popular Posts