Leave Day 3 Dweedle Dee Dee

Day 3
We got up early with one plan for the day: Baltimore. We were going to hit up the Aquarium and then just spend the rest of the day around the city. We made the drive to Baltimore and accidentally crossed the toll bridge twice (because when we crossed it the first time, we realized we didn't need to cross the bridge after all...hehe). I found lots of fun things to take pictures of on the ride over. I could tell right away...even just from seeing the city skyline...I was going to like Baltimore.Graffiti, weird glass artsy buildings, giant piles of salt, you name it. On the way back over we passed these giant salt mountains by the toll booths. So of course I had to capture them. The waterfront was really beautiful with some amazing ships available for touring on the dock. When we got to the Aquarium, there was a pretty huge line for tickets but thankfully my ever-prepared husband had bought them ahead of time. We slipped in and the adventures began. The aquarium was at least 4 stories and extremely extensive. One of the first rooms contained a huge pool/tank in the base and as you went up to the upper floors, you could look down on it from the balconies. In the tank were a variety of sharks, sting rays, and fish. My favorites were the sting rays. As always. :)
When I was little, my family went to an Aquarium that had a sting ray petting tank. I thought maybe it had been in Baltimore but I couldn't remember. Turns out I was wrong. And sadly I had built up my excitement for petting sting rays so I was a little disappointed when I found out there were no hands-on areas of the Baltimore Aquarium. But I still had an awesome time with John. Half way through the Aquarium we stopped and had a hot dog.
The big highlight of the entire visit was the dolphin show (and here you thought I was going to say the hot dog...hehe). I've never been to one and it was truly amazing. I have to say I am 100% more impressed with those guys after seeing that. Simply incredible. I've always thought of dolphins as being kind of gay and have scoffed anytime I've heard guys say all girls like dolphins...because I never have (scoff is my new word). But after seeing that, I have a new found respect for them and it's really not their fault pubescent boys think all girls love them which they don't. I mean...they probably do but they don't need DOLPHIN earrings and DOLPHIN necklaces and DOLPHIN stickers and DOLPHIN this and DOLPHIN that. Gimme a break guys.One of my other favorite parts of the Aquarium was the Jelly Fish Invasion. I came out of that dark little hallway feeling extremely high and delirious (no, it was not because of the hot dog). Watching those little guys pumping their little...er...jelly arms was so mesmerizing and both of us just got sucked right into watching them. I could have watched them for hours. In fact, I may have and didn't know it. We'll never really know, will we? I loved how some of them looked like the Starship Enterprise. Not this one...but you know what I mean. Or at least you should know what I mean.
After that we went to a 4D show and laughed/screamed/jumped in our seats as 4D creatures reached out to get us and our chairs sprayed us or poked us in the ribs which was rather shocking no matter how many times I tried to NOT be caught off guard. I think John enjoyed watching my reaction more than the actual movie.
At the end, we had to go to the gift shop (of course) and I found a snowglobe. Since they're my thing. But I was sad they didn't have cooler ones or one with a sting ray. Sting rays are totally underrated.
After finishing with the Aquarium, we walked around the waterfront admiring the ships. We noticed these small dragons eating unsuspecting children. We eventually found ourselves at Phillips for their famous Baltimore crabcakes. I've never been a huge crabcake fan but these were definitely AMAZING and would win over the biggest crab-hater. I am positive. We also enjoyed some awesomely awesome drinky drinks. Afterward we explored some shops, took an awesome pic in a photobooth (one of my favorite things ever), posed by a fish......twice... ...and ended our time in Baltimore at the coolest Barnes and Noble I've ever or will ever go into. Hands down. (Where did that saying ever begin? A classroom?) It was an old power plant converted into a Barnes and Noble as well as several restaurants and office space in the upper floors. It still had the smoke stacks (INSIDE TOO) and everything. I DIG! I was pretty much in book-loving old-building-loving heaven the entire time we were there. John even let me get Starbucks. ;) On our way out of town John made sure I got this photo. And I didn't miss. If I had, I'm sure we would have turned around. It was that important. On our way out of Baltimore, I caught this lovely smoke stack...or whatever it is...bidding us farewell. Home met us with lovely steaks cooked by Mark. We enjoyed dinner with Jan and Mark and relaxed with a glass of wine until bed time. Around bed time we decided to watch Twilight for the first time. I actually liked it. Definitely some majorly cheesy lines. But I did like it and now I am excited for the next one to come out. My sleep was fitful (due mostly to John's HORRID highschool bed of stone) and full of vampire dreams.
To be continued...

Comments

Popular Posts