First Days of Winter

It's the first really crisp morning of what I hope is many. It's kind of refreshing to be easing our way into cool weather again. I have to say I have sort of missed it.
It's no mystery that I hate sweaters and 'cardigans.' In fact, I hate SAYING 'cardigan.' I'm not sure why I hate sweaters so much...I actually think lots of them are super cute. But I can't wear them. They just drive me crazy. I feel like I can't get cool if I get overheated unless I strip. So going into this cooler weather is always slightly awkward for me. No sweaters means lots of sweatshirts and weird jackets and coats. Nothing seemed to be warm enough in Washington. It's funny. I couldn't buy a sweater to save my life. But I could fill my entire closet with pea coats. Oh how I love you, pea coats.
I made a mistake this morning. On my way back from taking the dreaded dog out (explanation to follow), I tricked myself into stopping at Dunkin Donuts. For coffee. And a donut. And a breakfast sandwich. All of which were wonderful. No that's actually not true. The sandwich was wonderful. The donut was disappontingly flavored like apples...and it was in no shape or form an apple flavored donut. Then the coffee. Oh the coffee. So much I could say about the 'coffee' that everyone RAVES about from Dunkin Donuts. It's not personal. You're allowed to like it. And I'm allowed to not. So we'll leave it at that. How I miss living in close proximity with cute cozy coffee shops. I swear...the south has almost entirely cured me of my caffeine addiction. Although I don't think I ever truly had one...I was truly only addicted to the wonderful atmosphere of those coffee shops. The ones I miss so. Can't wait for Christmas in Washington.
So...my explanation for 'dreaded dog.' In truth, he isn't dreaded at all. He's a very sweet LARGE dog and is very well mannered. I am helping watch him for a friend. I take him out in the morning and afternoon and then my friend Stephanie takes him out in the evening. (That reminds me...after picking up my dreaded (my new favorite word) Dunkin Donuts, I passed Stephanie...running...in the early morning...how shameful that I am eating Dunkin Donut Crap and she's running. Sigh.) This weekend I was still sick. Monday I was still sick. I asked Stephanie if she'd take care of the dog over the weekend and I'd help her on Monday. Monday came and I still felt icky but I SAID I'd help. So I rolled myself out of bed and drove over to Katrina's. It's quite close and the sun was coming up and the world is an entirely different place in the early morning. Anywhere can look quite lovely. I arrived in full pajama garb with morning hair in full bloom. I'm sick. I'm just here to take out the dog. I'm not trying to impress anyone. No. So I go inside, greet dog and take him outside. And shut the door. And lock myself out. No house key. No phone. No car keys. Nada. I try not to panic. Katrina's doors have a habit of being evil like this. I am not the first victim. Over the weekend I popped Monique's door open when she locked herself out. So I figured "I'm a pro at this!" Not so much. I found a pet store membership card in my thankfully unlocked car. I worked on that door for over half an hour and rubbed one finger raw, all the while praying under my breath (and over my breath) in tears. I just kept thinking "I'm sick. WHY me when I'm sick? Why why why..." Finally, I faced the truth. The door wasn't opening. I have no phone. I'll have to go to neighbor's and ask to use the phone. Then the real clincher dawned on me. I don't even KNOW anyone's phone number. I know John's and my mom's. Period. I don't KNOW Stephanie's number to ask her to come let me in. I knew what I had to do so I knocked on the first neighbor's door. There was no answer. I tried the next. I saw a car so I knew they must be home. Thankfully an old man DID answer and was very gracious and kind and let me use the phone. I then had to talk my mom through logging into my email from WASHINGTON, do a search for a phone list roster Monique sent me and then look for Stephanie's number. Thankfully she found it and I called Stephanie and was saved. By now my stomach had been growling for over an hour and I was feeling increasingly sick. I put the dog back inside, locked the door, drove home and collapsed in my sickly bed for the next several hours. Needless to say...it was a HELL Monday morning. Now anytime I go over to let the dog out, I CLING to my keys, phone, and bag like there's no tomorrow.

Comments

Monique said…
Rachel!!!! That sucks. I'm so sorry that happened to you. Bad stuff always seems to happen when you already feel like crap...

Popular Posts