The Loveliness of Teatime

I don't remember the first time I had a tea party. It's just something that you do when you're a little girl that's into twirly dresses and ruffles. I do remember sitting on my aunt's side porch in their house on Big Valley Road in Poulsbo. I had a tea party all set up complete with sugar water for tea. Part way through my party, I heard a very loud buzz next to my ear and I was delighted to see a hummingbird had joined me for tea. But only for a moment.
On the day John and I got engaged, we went to the Empress Fairmont's High Teatime...one of the oldest and most famous traditions of the Brits and one of my favorite things in the world. I do remember the first time I had High Tea. I was in Hua Hin, Thailand for vacation with my brother and parents. We went to the Sofitel resort next door to where we were staying for High Tea. I had peppermint tea and it left a lasting impression.
Right before we left Washington to move to North Carolina, John and I enjoyed our last tea time at a little tea house in Port Gamble, not far from where I lived.
Today, I am making High Tea for John as a goodbye present before he deploys. I stayed up until midnight making scones from scratch. I bought a jar of clotted cream for $9 and I'm sure it's worth every penny. I bought two brands of fine chocolates and shortbread cookies. I'm making cucumber tea sandwiches, roasted chicken tea sandwiches and maybe some other kind of tea sandwich this afternoon. While some guys may think tea or having a tea time is gay, say that to a Brit and get your socks knocked off. It's just what you do in the UK and I think it's an entirely lovely tradition. The Brits probably think you're gay for drinking Coors Light. Cuz it sucks. So there.

Comments

Rebekah said…
awesome!!! love teatime! Have fun:)

Popular Posts