On Fire

Sometimes it takes time for life to come full circle. And sometimes it feels like John really puts that concept into perspective for me. For example...once upon a time, I wanted to dance with my boyfriend on our 1 month mark. Just in the livingroom. Just the two of us. Nothing fancy. And I wanted to dance to 'On Fire' by Switchfoot. When I arrived with my surprise of a homemade pie, the vibe was wrong. He thought it odd I even REMEMBERED we'd been dating a month let alone do something special for it. I like celebrating small milestones. Apparently he didn't. And I knew deep down he'd laugh and think it was weird if I asked him to slow dance with me. I never brought it up. We broke up less than two months later. Fast forward a few years and I'm walking down the aisle to my waiting groom...while 'On Fire' by Switchfoot plays in the background. Our last evening together before deploying, John asked me if I would dance with him...and I knew exactly what song we should dance to. 'On Fire.' It's funny how a bad memory can be replaced by a moment so beyond good that calling it 'good' isn't...well...good enough. What I have in John is more than I ever thought possible and I mocked myself for wanting anything a fraction as good as what we have. He is the definition of selflessness to me. And just when I think I've figured him out, he sweeps me off my feet, yet again. It's like God is singing "I told you so!" in the best way. All the fears and doubts and disappointments I had are proven false by John's actions, words, and character. John will be away on our first year wedding anniversary. But I don't care as long as he's always mine. How did a stumble upon such a beautiful soul? The only answer to that question is God.

Comments

Popular Posts