Episode Mexico: 6/26/2011 and 6/27/2011


6/26
I dreamed John wasn't in the picture and I was dating some other guy who I was bored with and was seriously thinking of dumping because the relationship wasn't going anywhere (what is with my vacation dreams??). But I suspected he wanted to propose near Christmas so I decided to wait. He ended up having my parents give me a gift bag with the ring in it. I started crying and he came and said he thought I'd find the card funny. Then I woke up.
John continued feeling a little icky this morning but seems a little better. It rained all night and the wind shook the door so hard that at one point I thought we were having a hurricane. It continued to rain most of the day which meant we stayed in most of the day. Which wasn't the worst thing considering our tummies were still uneasy. For dinner, we went to Las Delicious, the same restaurant we went to on the first day for lunch and it was, as always, delicious and thankfully not too hard on our stomachs.
To top off the evening, we smoked Cuban cigars (my first) and had a grand ol' time as usual writing postcards and being us.
As a result, we stayed up super late. But we're on vacation, right? So who cares!
That evening, I played with our towel animal and made funny faces.
It was epic. And no, I still don't know what our towel animal was. Monkey? Turkey? Turtle? Fish? Pile-o-poo? We'll never know.

6/27
I had been wanting to check out a coffee shop called Ah Cacao which served Mayan hot chocolate and lots of cool coffee drinks. It was what the tour books called "The Chocolate Shop" and I just knew I wouldn't be disappointed.
We went there for breakfast and as expected it was epic. It was all I imagined it to be and more. There was this strange corn cake that was the BOMB.
Since we arrived, we had talked about getting a massage. John had never had one so we decided that after both of us feeling icky, a massage was in order. The night before, our hotel told us that our second tour had called and they had cancelled for that day but would reschedule. This tour was one John had picked out for me as a surprise (bu
t had ended up telling me because he was too excited) and it entailed going out on a boat and swimming with whale sharks and possibly manta rays. Afterward, you went to a nearby island and snorkeled the reefs. A little disappointed but relieved we'd have another day to enjoy relaxing, we went to a massage place in town. The massage was an hour and was heaven. I thought I was going to fall asleep but I somehow managed not too. I've never done a massage in the nude but it was quite nice! Afterward we had lunch again at the fancy restaurant we had gone to the night before and our waiter was glad to see we came back. We both got blander meals (soup mostly) to ease our tummies. It rained some more.
We stopped in Ah Cacao again. We went there so many times before we left that I can't remember what my first drink was there. But I believe it was the Mayan sipping chocolate which was basically a shot of really, really thick hot chocolate with chili powder in it. SO. FLIPPING. GOOD. I also remember getting a shot of espresso with chocolate at the bottom and one of their amazing lattes (can you guess why I gained 5 pounds in Mexico?) among other things. They also had amazing desserts and pastries.
That day we had a power out. And it was a very odd power out. We continued to lose power randomly the rest of the trip and later on learned the reason for this and all the rain was there was a tropical storm off the coast which also resulted in our tour getting delayed. The power out killed all the electricity. But when the hotel used their generator, only half the power would come back on. So...sometimes everything plugged in would turn on but the lights wouldn't work or vise versa. It was weird.
On our way home from somewhere (probably Ah Cacao), we stopped in a little shop I had been eyeballing the ENTIRE stay in Playa. It was on a little picturesque street corner and had pottery, pewter, painted wooden boxes, little gourds that had been painted and turned into little boxes, and just...COOL THINGS inside. It was a very ME shop. We finally stopped in and we were literally in the store 45 minutes. I could NOT decide what I wanted because everything was so awesome. The lady that owned it was flattered I liked it so much and when we finally did check out, she gave us a free pewter butter knife.
We got home and reorganized our stuff (to prep for packing since we'd be gone the next day on our tour) and then went out for pizza for dinner. Afterward, we perused a duty-free shop, didn't buy anything and went home. It was SO nice to shower off all the gross massage oil. The massage was great but I just felt like my hair was greasy the rest of the day. Sadly, that evening we found out the tour was cancelled the next day as well due to bad weather and the closing down of the dock where the boat was. They said we could reschedule but we were leaving on the 29th so we just got a refund. We were both disappointed as we never got a chance to snorkel but we agreed that we'd just have to come back. The power went on and off all night so it was a little difficult to sleep because it kept getting hot in the room. At one point, I could hear a night club lose power right at the peak of a song and everyone screamed. It was pretty hilarious.
I FINALLY finished reading Dracula. It was a great read.
To be continued...

Comments

Popular Posts