Trick or Treat...

Although I never really had a chance to go trick-or-treating as a kid, I've always loved Halloween. My parents used to make it special for us no matter wha
t. My earliest memories of Halloween are of a candy hunt in our house and then going out for pizza and candle-stick bowling and then going to a giant hillside in Vermont COVERED in jack-o-lanterns. It may have just seemed GIANT because I was so little. The memory is pretty foggy. Another awesome memory was holding ourselves all up in my parents' bedroom to escape the endless knocks of trick-or-treaters and watching the ENTIRE Star Wars Trilogy (before the craptastic "Episode One" came out) Halloween night. The first costume I ever remember wearing was when I was around 6 or 7. I was a butterfly.
As an adult, I've made it a point to make a big deal out of Halloween (me posing with the card John mailed me...and no, he had no idea what I was going to be for Halloween). I LOVE dressing up and thinking of some fun costume (nonskantastic) and I don't think that Halloween should be any less fun now that I'm older. I've also made it a point to keep my costume a secret until I arrive at a Halloween party. Makes things more fun that way.
This year I decided to be Elphaba from Wicked...or better known as the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz. Complete with green makeup. I was very skeptical for several weeks that I'd even be able to pull off the green makeup as I've never done anything that extensive before. But I decided to give it a shot and did a makeup run-through on the 29th, the day of my first Halloween party thrown by my classmate Jessica. The result was acceptable and when I did the full-blown makeup that night, it looked awesome. As a result, I won best female costume at her party and only scared ONE kid while out trick-or-treating at Monique's party on the 31st! And it wasn't this one! This is my friend Stacey's kid Savannah and she just thought the green lady was FASCINATING. When I scared the little kid, I was walking back to Monique's house after going out with the moms and kids to trick-or-treat and I overheard a little girl say "If you don't hurry up, she's going to get you!" I realized the little girl was talking to her little brother...about me. When he looked back, I pretended I was tip-toeing after him and that definitely freaked him out and he was scared to go up to Monique's house to ring the door bell (which is where I was also heading...his mom later explained that he's afraid of most things in costume...which makes this time of year a little tricky...no pun intended). We finally became friends after I explained that I wasn't going to get him, I wasn't a real witch, I was nice and I liked his superman costume. He then told me I was cute. (When I told this story to John when he called, he asked if I told the kid superman shouldn't be scared of a witch...I hadn't thought of that.) Here's a picture of my awesome shadow:I had a great time at both parties and got nothing but compliments on my costume (many people thought the wig was my real hair too). There were also a lot of AWESOME costumes at both parties. My favorites were the Ghostbusters and the 2nd Amendment (the right to "bear" arms...notice the furry arms). And the Chilean Miner was pretty clever. And the oh-so-obvious Lady Gaga who later on changed and magically transformed into Justin Bieber. Good times. One thing I found weird was how many kids came to the door and just stood there without saying anything like oh um maybe "Happy Halloween!" or "Trick or treat!" or well anything. And not one would hold their bag out to get their candy. Instead you have to reach down to their ankles to put it in their bag. And I'm not talking about 4 year olds. I think the 4 year olds were the best mannered of the whole bunch. Sigh. Kids today.
So now that this year is over...now to brain storm next year's costume! Which will hopefully include my husband being HERE!

Comments

Popular Posts