Friendship Dating

Have you ever had that feeling where you're dancing around friendship with someone? I seem to find myself in these ridiculously annoying situations where I REALLY get along with someone, think they're awesome, and they seem to think I'm not too shabby myself...but we never actually establish a friendship; I mean a REAL friendship where you have each others' numbers, you hangout when you can, you talk and are open with each other and love each other despite your differences and flaws. I LOATHE THIS WEIRD BEFORE-FRIENDSHIP PHASE THAT NEVER SEEMS TO GO AWAY. Loathe it. It literally drives me crazy. It makes me think questions like...so do I assume we're friends and get their number and suggest we get lunch sometime? Or do I wait for them to suggest it? Or...do I just keep my distance? It almost feels like dating. Friend-dating. And it's STUPIDLY annoying and much too complicated for what it is.
I am in this situation with several of my instructors. I think it makes it even stranger/odder/awkwarder (ha!) since there's that student vs. teacher thing and I don't know where their boundaries are with that. Am I off limits for friendship status until I've graduated? Are they cool with being friends with students? Am I being a creepy, annoying student that won't leave them alone? Sometimes I wonder...and then wonder why I even have to wonder these things. Yeah. It's that awesome. I hate feeling like that awkward person. And yet I'm feeling that way. I'd be kinda stoked if all of this would just stop. And I could just make some friends who are at my maturity level so I don't have to feel like I'm babysitting 13-year-olds all the time. Sigh.
It really is like dating! And I was never good at that part of dating. I was a pretty direct person when it came to dating. Either it was going somewhere or it wasn't. I don't like to have my time wasted or to waste other peoples' time so I generally would ask the boys out that I was interested in because I got tired of waiting for them to get the hint or to wait and see if they'd have to balls to do it themselves.They didn't. Not worth my time. And I hate indecision. I HATE the "What do you want to do?" "I don't care. What do you want to do?" situation. I used to do that when I was younger and timid. Never again. Now I will make a decision just so it's made and I don't have to listen to the monotony and get annoyed with whoever I'm with because they can't pick what meal they want to share. WE'RE HAVING TERIYAKI AND THAT'S FINAL! Is any of this making sense? It's a rant. I admit it.
I just want to become real friends with these people because I think they're quality, intellectual, funny, unique, creative, inspiring people. I feel like I'm on the border. So how do I get past security?
Photo: Unknown found via Buzzlol

Comments

Popular Posts