Post-Irene


Annnndd we're back! We got power back yesterday afternoon and I am so, so so, very, so thankful. It's amazing how helpless we all become without power and even more amazing how quickly the city gets it back up and running (even if you had a long wait...think about it...it's still amazing how quickly they work!).
Irene began her slow decent on Friday afternoon. We ran out for a few things including more ice (I figured out why so much ice is required for a storm...read on) and hit sit-still traffic on the highway. Thank goodness we hadn't decided to leave because we wouldn't have been able to even if we wanted! We swung back around, checked a place for ice (no go) and just headed home...after grabbing a movie. The rain began around 2pm in bursts and the sky slowly grew dark. By 10pm it was coming down in sheets and the winds were picking up, making the power flicker. We went to bed around 1am after a ruthless match of Scrabble; we both woke back up around 4am. The power had gone out and the rain (and whatever else was caught in the wind) was POUNDING against the side of the house and windows. It was hard to get back to sleep after that. A few times I almost got up to tape the windows in case they broke. The rain was that loud and sounded like someone trying to throw their body against the glass. We woke up and the rain was still at it but much decreased. From what we could see, there was no damage to the house but there were several downed trees throughout the neighborhood, thankfully none on any houses. One fell mere feet from our house but was caught by another tree. The road leading to our lane was flooded like a river but our road stayed dry down the middle.
I honestly don't remember what we did for breakfast that morning. But I think we had cereal. John had taken the things we'd most likely need to eat (milk, bread, etc.) and put them in the cooler so we didn't have to open the fridge. The temperature was cool as long as the storm was upon us. But as it got warmer, it dawned on me...we need ice to keep things fresh! And I didn't figure this out until now because? Answer: I've never been in a power-outage in a warm climate. True story. Every power out I ever remember enduring was in a cold climate or mid-winter. So keeping things fresh in the fridge wasn't a huge deal. At all. This, here in North Carolina, is a WHOLE different animal. For dinner, John set up his camping stove on the front porch and heated up spaghetti-o's and water for tea. We even watched a movie on his laptop (it had just enough battery for it) before going to bed.
The morning was bright and cheery and aside from the debris and chaos of fallen trees around the neighborhood, you would have never guessed we had had a storm. BEAUTIFUL day. We spent it cleaning up the yard (I went into a pine-cone collecting frenzy...why? I couldn't tell you...), making coffee and frying eggs for breakfast (John made camp stove percolator coffee and it turned out to be the best cup o' joe I've had in MONTHS...literally MONTHS...okay...ASIDE from the amazing hospital coffee they had in Richmond...that place is just awesome...), and being friendly neighbors. I may have mentioned it before but I generally think of us as the worst (almost) neighbors ever. We're not REALLY the worst. If we were the worst EVER, we'd be mean. Mean we are not. Awkward we are. But storms, near-death experiences, and sharing resources brings people together and we found ourselves invited to plug our fridge into our neighbor's generator which we thought very kind and generous of them. In return, John made them coffee which they were delighted in having. Matt, our neighbor, stopped by when he was ready to plug our fridge in. We talked, John told him of his brewing coffee and he accepted the invitation to share and he returned to his house. Seconds later, I looked down and realized my shorts were on inside out. AWESOME. Wardrobe malfunctions: one of the many "perks" of power outages.
It was a HOT day. Thankfully, it cooled off in the evening and we were invited over to our neighbor's house to hangout for awhile. For one fateful minute, their power came back on and we all rejoiced but sadly it turned off again, never to return that day. The next day we woke HOPING to find our power back on but no such luck. We headed to base to get new tires for my little car (YIPPEE!! No more driving in TERROR!) which ended up taking ALL FRIGGIN DAY. While charging my phone in John's car during the wait, I saw a friend post on facebook that she finally had power! She lived 2 streets down from us in the same neighborhood!! So we HOPED that the power would be on when we got home. Which it was! It was so great to clean up and let the house cool down again. John got all prepped to head back up to Richmond (still dealing with his dad's affairs and he is still in the hospital but might be out today or tomorrow) that night and I did my best to make the house more NORMAL. He left and I couldn't help being a little sad. Being apart is always hard but being apart for short periods when you've gone through the long periods apart is just annoying. It makes me want to shout, "Hasn't he been gone enough??" But this is a family matter and I can't be angry. I'd do the same for my parents any time. Besides, he has to be close since his sister has to fly back to Maine today.
This morning I woke up in horror. THE POWER WAS OFF AGAIN. I can't tell you how annoyed I was. Okay. I've been more annoyed but I was SO dismayed!! I quickly ran around the house opening windows because it was going to get hot. I then flopped back into bed and did my best to fall back asleep in my disappointment. THANKFULLY...a few hours later the power was back on. I've had one more scare of it going off for about 20 seconds this afternoon but so far it looks like we are in the clear. Hope hope hope.
Let me just say this: I am so thankful. Thankful we are safe, there was no damage, and what I've seen of our neighborhood or heard from friends, there was no damage to any homes of anyone we know. That doesn't mean everyone got by. There are lots of people who were not so fortunate and my prayers go out to them. Those and the others who are still without power. It SUCKS not having power in this heat. If you are without power and in the area, please let me know. I have a guestroom and an upstairs that can turn into another guestroom and I'd love to have you.
All in all? We survived Irene...and it wasn't a horrible experience. It was nice being taken care of by Mr. Prepared. And it was nice playing board games together and getting to know our neighbors a little bit better. Hopefully there is more to come.
School was cancelled yesterday and today. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Photo: Micah Garen found via Brownstoner

Comments

Popular Posts