Irene


This week is determined to be the end of my sanity. Here is why:
1. John drove me back to NC on Saturday. He and Emily (she flew down from Maine and then rode with us down to NC) stayed the night and then drove back up to VA on Sunday to stay with their dad and work out his affairs (he's still in the hospital but is out of the ICU).
2. School started. And I remembered why I was nervous about school starting. I have 5 classes, 4 of which are nearly 3 hours a piece and they are studio art classes which, true, means no tests but it also means HUGE projects that take lots of outside class time. So...in the words of one of my instructors, I might need to get a cot installed in the art building since I will essentially be living there.
3. My books for school, which were ordered over a month and a half ago, never arrived. I contacted the seller and never heard back so I had to file a claim. In the meantime, I ordered replacements for twice as much money plus quick shipping. But they still aren't here. I was told there'd be books in the library I could read in the meantime but I called today and no such luck. So....I will be unprepared for class today. Hoping since it's only our second class it won't be too much of a big deal.
4. I can't access my scholarship. That's right. The school will not let me access my scholarship because it came in late and I paid for my classes out of pocket to prevent them from being dropped due to not being paid for in time. So my scholarship is just sitting there. I have to get the people who provided me with the scholarship to put in writing that I CAN access the money to reimburse me for paying my own tuition and also so I can buy supplies. Hoping they will do that for me. I also had to explain to the financial office people why I couldn't use my account in the school bookstore for supplies. "Um...because the bookstore (aside from being highway robbery in the price department) does not carry ONE SINGLE art supply item?" "....so...they won't let you use your scholarship there?" *smacks forehead* "No, I am sure I am perfectly allowed to use my scholarship there but if they aren't carrying ANY of the supplies I need, why would I spend any of my money there?" I had to explain this to each financial aid office member...twice.
5. John is still in Virginia. And a hurricane is coming. In fact, New Bern is smack dab in the MIDDLE of Hurricane Irene's path, due to hit on Saturday. So he wants to drive down today or tomorrow, pack up anything important and then have us each drive our cars back UP to Virginia. Then I somehow am supposed to drive back down for school on Monday. Are you kidding me?
6a. And on top of all of this, I have a supply list for school the size of Guatemala. I have some of the stuff. And other stuff I don't...and I keep wondering if 5 classes is the best idea. But then I remember they're all AWESOMELY FUN classes. Like Painting, Sculpture, Design, and Computer Art. And American Literature but that one doesn't start until September.
6b. And this is more minor but it still is a stress: it seems like ANY time my church has some event that promotes community and meeting people and getting plugged into the church, we're either gone, there's a family emergency, or there's a hurricane. There is LITERALLY always something. For example, our church is finally having another group link to get plugged into a life group and meet people. When is it? A Wednesday. What happens every Wednesday? My Painting class which happens to be a night class. Sooooooooo...yeah. Fail on my part.
Am I excited about school? Yes. I just feel kinda on the brink of insanity and the semester has barely begun. Praying for peace that surpasses ALL understanding and grace. And wisdom to know what to do about this storm.
She moves her body like a cyclone...

Comments

Popular Posts