Survivor

I'm a survivor...of a hurricane.
The past week or more, everyone has been freaking out about Hurricane Earl which was headed our way...in a side-skirts sort of way. Now...I've never gone through a hurricane...but I know enough that:
1. We live far enough from the shore that I highly doubt it would come knocking at our door all that hard. If at all.
2. I've lived without power before for weeks at a time. Let's not all have a panic attack people. It's electricity. We can live without electricity.
3. If for some reason the hurricane did come a-knocking, I just so happen to be married to Mr. Prepared-n-Handy. I guarantee...if it's been thought of, he's got it covered. "Covered" consisted of buying a HUGE 4th cooler (why we had 3 to begin with, I'll never know), filling the bathtub with water in case we lost it, and filling two of our plethora of coolers with ice. Yes. FILLED with ice. He also filled two GIANT jugs with water which appeared out of no where. He claims we already had them. I am skeptical. ;) He also turned up the AC and fridge/freezer in case we lost power. He took the grill inside, he took everything down that was outside and made a haven for it all in the garage. I was waiting for him to start taping the windows but that stage never came. My college closed at 3pm yesterday and sent everyone home. As soon as I put the key in my car door to unlock it, it started raining. But that was the extent of rain I saw.
The news said the hurricane would hit hardest last night at midnight and then hopefully pass by the end of today.
*pause for effect*
Well folks...it's 10am. I heard no hurricane, I saw no hurricane and I see no evidence outside of any hurricane. Late last night John began to admit that maybe he had over-prepared for this storm but I reminded him that being over-prepared is much better than being under-prepared. Think about all those people that stocked up on canned food and kiddy toilets during the Y2K scare. Boy, wouldn't WE feel dumb if the world really HAD ended and the only thing we had done to "prepare" for Y2K was throw a LAN party and play Unreal Tournament until 4 in the morning. "Uh yeah, hey guys? We could really use that kiddy toilet right about now..." WHAT was with that anyway? Did they really think the plumbing was going to go to the dogs or something? I guess we'll never know.
Anyways...I woke up to John having emptied the bathtub and HUMUNGO jugs of water and asking me to empty the coolers of ice onto the lawn. I also groggily woke up to the following conversation:
"Rachel, are these two boards garbage?"
"Nnnnnnnnnesrjlkkehkjfhkjfhf....no I'm keeping those."
"Where's the garbage?"
*blinkblinkblink*
"Huh?"
"Where's the garbage?"
"I....already got all the garbage." Meaning I already emptied all the trashes around the house for garbage day.
"Where is it?"
".......uhhh...in the garbage can???"
"Oh...yeah...ok."
I'm still trying to make sense of it.
So needless to say people...we survived. I am happy nothing major happened and hopefully everyone with homes closer to the coast kept safe.
Now there's only one thing left to do. Clean the house and prepare for a beach day cuz my mommy is arriving for a visit TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!
Photo: Unknown found via Mamarazzies

Comments

Popular Posts