Oh Dear, Gere

You have NO idea how happy this picture makes me. My car has FINALLY been fixed. I have dash lights again after almost a year of driving without them. Try that at night...it aint fun. Thank goodness for the GPS. And thank goodness for John.
I've returned from a weekend I hoped wouldn't end. We snuck away to the Outer Banks for a few days which was very much needed. John's mom and step-dad rented a condo by the beach which we stayed at the second night we were there. The first night we stayed at a Comfort Inn by the beach. As soon as we arrived and I looked out on the ocean from our tiny balcony, I felt this overwhelming peace. There's something amazing about the ocean. I could have watched the surf all day. After checking in, we headed to Corolla and I saw and climbed the last of the Outer Bank's lighthouses. I have now seen them all and that was my first time going to the top of one. We got there just in time right before they were closing up for the day and the view was incredible. Afterward, we found an obscure pizza joint that, although rough around the edges, was quite delightful. Dessert was ice cream and window shopping.
The next morning we had breakfast at an amazing little place called the Dunes and then headed to our first destination: a sailing tour. John booked an afternoon sailing tour for two hours on the Downeast Rover. And I braided my hair for the first time in forever and a day.I've only been on a sail boat maybe once or twice before and this would be the largest one by far. The trip began innocently enough and was amazingly beautiful. It was definitely the perfect day to go sailing. About half way through terror struck...in the form of Richard Gere. A guy who looked JUST like Richard Gere sat next to me to have a smoke (because sitting on our side meant the smoke wouldn't blow in anyone's faces). He struck up a conversation with John (on my other side) about the Navy/military (and little else) and proceeded to dominate all chance of conversation for the remaining hour of the trip. After getting choked out by smoke one too many times, I switched places with John and surrendered him to Richard, fuming the rest of the trip. Disclaimer: Normally this would not bother me. Yes, it was a time for us to spend together...but talking to people is perfectly fine. I'm not one of those crazy people that refuses to allow their spouse to engage in any conversation. Ever. No. That's not me. HOWEVER...considering the ARSETY (arse-ity: to be ass-like; to be seriously crappy) of recent events, I am in a pretty protective mood. I want time with my husband and I want as much as I can get right now. I don't want Joe Schmo raining on my parade. Sorry, Richard. You are so not cool. So that explains why this entire situation would bug me. A romantic boat ride suddenly became me sitting by myself in the freezing on-coming wind. End disclaimer. At the end of the trip, I exited the boat and waited on shore for the husband. After SEVERAL long minutes and after everyone else exited the boat including the sailors, he exited, now joined at the hip and rib with Mr. Gere. Mr. Gere then proceeded to talk our ears off for another 10 minutes or so while we slowly backed away and tried our best to give short, undeveloping answers so we could escape. He was NOT catching on. Finally, I reached out and pinched John's hand to silently communicate "WE MUST LEAVE NOW BEFORE I DO SOMETHING DRASTIC!!!!!!!" John was able to successfully cut ties and we were home free, dashing to our car for safety as we went. The strangest part of the whole experience? The guy's name really WAS Richard. After-the-fact we were able to laugh about it. But while it was happening, I gotta say...I was no happy camper.
We met up with John's mom and step-dad that afternoon and checked out the condo before going to dinner.
In the morning, we went to the beach briefly (only briefly because it was really rough with a cold wind) and then retired by the pool for several hours. I have to say it's been awhile since I've been able to do that...just chill by a pool without anything to do or think about. And the pool was most of the time vacant so when we swam, we didn't have to fight for space like in Vegas. We left around 4pm and headed back home, stopping for dinner on the way.
I truly didn't want this weekend to end. And this is why: basically my previous post was about something that happened recently. We found out John will be leaving a lot sooner than we expected. So we've been trying to scramble around to prepare for that. How am I? I'm doing better. I was not so hot over the past few days but I'm doing a lot better and am trying my best to think positively and remind myself that it could always be worse. I also always knew this could happen. I can't be blindsided by this. It's just the way life is right now. So that's where I'm at. I can't say how soon he's going...partially because we don't even know for sure. But when it happens, I'll make that very clear. Believe you me.
So just keep us in your thoughts and prayers.
Right now John's dad is down for a brief visit since our plans to go visit him were squelched. It's been nice having him down for a few days and he's been super helpful around the house and even stained our deck. It's good to know someone is near by to help if anything goes crazy.
Well I'm tired. And I'm breaking out like a teenager. Thanks stress. Sigh.
All Photos: Meself

Comments

Popular Posts