Bearing Gifts

I am slowly approaching my second deployment. Someone (several someones actually) once (or twice) told me that once the first deployment has passed, the following deployments do not get easier. I am inclined to agree with them. And disagree. Agree because having your spouse leave you is never, ever going to get easier. I am convinced of it. And disagree because I definitely feel much more prepared than I did last time. I also feel much calmer...knowing what is in store. The thought running through my mind on auto-pilot is less "How can I do this?" and more "I can do this. I have done this."
A day or two before my John left on his first deployment, he gave me a gift. I couldn't find a blog post about it so I'm guessing I never got around to documenting it in my frazzled post-deployment state. In his closet was hidden a pink gift bag. Inside were three things: something for my mind, my soul, and my body. A DVD copy of Coraline, a devotional book analyzing the poem "Footprints," and a pink camelback water bottle. They were very simple things but a lot of thought were put into them and I cried opening them. They still mean a lot to me and were daily reminders that he would be coming home sooner than I thought. I've used the pink water bottle daily ever since. At the time, I had also gotten John a few surprises but my favorite was a mini photo album of some of our best memories.
For this deployment, John repeated this tradition. (It is no secret that gifts are my love language.) He asked me for some suggestions beforehand and then the other day surprised me with a box. Inside were three things: Across the Universe in DVD, the extended Across the Universe soundtrack and the new Flyleaf album Memento Mori. In a word: Drool. (Be aware there are two types of Rachel Drool. There is the "drool, I am going to die of boredom" and then there is the "drool, I've just died and gone to heaven."...........If you didn't catch it, the second one is a POSITIVE.)
I don't know why I even thought of Memento Mori when he asked. But now that I have it, I have this deep feeling that that album will be water to my heart and soul this deployment. I will write more on the subject when I have more time to think and ponder over it...but I will just say that it is amazing and truly a work of art.
My dear husband knows the ways of my heart and the ways TO my heart. I will never comprehend how I came to deserve such a man. But I will always be grateful for him in an ever-awestruck sense.
Thank you.
Photo: Unknown found via Chairman Wow

Comments

Popular Posts