Not like you think...really.

Now before you go jumping to conclusions, well...I'll just jump right in then, shall I? Yes I shall.
I've always enjoyed magazines. My mom has always referred to magazines as 'Teen Magazines' and 'Movie Magazines'...even if they are neither. And she always says it in the most 'teenage' voice you could ever muster or imagine yourself. If you're not sure of what I mean, watch the first Matrix and listen to the girl in the beginning with the white rabbit tattoo. Epitomy of 'teenage' voice. It's hilarious and we have trouble saying the word 'magazine' around each other without using the same voice. What can I say, we're more like sisters than mother/daughter.
One of the most prominent memories I have of magazines is when I was 13. I had mono and was confined to my room for a month or so and one of my best friends brought over a stack of Seventeen magazines. It was seriously my haven. Getting magazines was a rarity in China, especially teen magazines. That was my first real exposure to beauty mags and I remember pouring over those things like it was a portal into some new, unknown world. But not in the way you think. Not in the 'omg, how did she do her hair that way?' way. It was a window into American Culture, something I knew very little about. Yes, I'm 'American.' It says so on my passport and birth certificate. But that doesn't make me culturally American. The majority of my life was spent in China. My formative years were spent in China. I am and always will be different because I was not raised here and I was not influenced in the ways a typical American teenager was.
Back to magazines. I still enjoy magazines. Rarely do I buy a beauty magazine for the beauty tips. Although I do enjoy reading about them sometimes. It's usually because the person on the cover is someone I like or there's just some article that sounds interesting. Usually I'm disappointed at it's length (or more...LACK of length) but that's what you get. I also enjoy magazines because I enjoy destroying them after I'm done. I love to collage and I don't do nearly enough of it.
So to the point. I finally bought a magazine with a Robert Pattinson interview. I've been avoiding it. I don't like 'going with the flow' especially fads. It's just not me. Never has been. As soon as Avril Lavigne came out wearing tons of bracelets, I took all mine off. There's little that annoys me more than someone saying "oh you do such and such like so and so" because I'm me and I do my own thing and frankly...I did it first, Avril. Sorry.
So I bought a Robert Pattinson featured mag. Honestly, I'm slightly fascinated by celebrities. But again...not in the way you think. I feel sorry for them. I mean yeah...being a rockstar and have everyone know your name and worship you must be kind of cool some days. But the rest of the days when you find yourself trapped in a hotel room and just want to slip to the corner store for a coffee but can't? Yeah, no. Does not sound appealing. And I'm sure it's not. And the interview confirmed my thoughts as many before it have. An interview by Kristen Stewart rang to a similar note. And that's sad! It sucks, really. I read both their interviews and found it funny how critical a tone the interviewer had to their annoyance and frustration with being suddenly huge stars. Funny because...well...naturally it's gotta get annoying. What is there to be critical about? Get over it. People don't enjoy being followed around constantly and gawked at. Believe me, I know...believe it or not. As I said in one of my previous blogs, I think I know to some extent what it feels like to be a celebrity. Try growing up in a city of several million that have never seen a 4 year old blond Caucasian before and you'll know what I mean. You WILL be followed, touched and gawked at. And in my case, I didn't have bodyguards to keep them back. Sucked.
I guess that's all I really had to say on that matter. I wish there really was a place where famous people could live normally when they wanted to and could enjoy a quiet cup of coffee at the corner store without a billion fans clobbering them. Now, this isn't a "oh those poor celebrities" speech. I think on a whole a lot of celebs are ridiculous. But I think it's truthful to say that not all are like that and I'm sure a lot went into the business of movies and music without the GOAL of becoming unbearably famous (unlike Lady Gaga).
So Robert and Kristen. I'm sorry becoming insanely famous overnight kind of sucks. If you ever need a place to crash, I have two very comfortable couches and a friggin awesome robot guestroom. Oh yeah and a lovesac in my bonus room. And I make some killer Chinese. Like you wouldn't believe. No really. You have no idea. And my address still doesn't technically "exist" on most maps or map websites so...finding you would be difficult for the press.
Oh yeah. If I hear one more person say "Team Jacob" or "Team Edward"...so help me.

Comments

Popular Posts