Deflowerment

I have learned that when someone hurts, I have the ability to feel the pain as deeply as they would. I know a lot of people wouldn't believe that...heck sometimes I don't. And then I encounter it and it stings like nothing I could ever describe or explain besides my own pain, the pain I've experienced from my own hurt. Last night I felt that deep, pit-of-my-stomach pain for a friend who had been hurt. In ways I almost experienced myself. And in ways I have experienced myself. Thankfully we have both moved on, survived the stings and burns and are healing, slowly but surely. But that deep ache was there in my heart when she shared her story. I didn't even know what to say. My mind was solely focused on my reaction to her words and I didn't have anything to say. It was awkward...and I hated it because it was awkward. It shouldn't have been. I should have had the words to say...I wished then that I could have done something...to change how things happened or erase the past. The feeble attempts at fixing a hurt. Kissing the bandage. But the truth is there's still a wound under the bandage and a little kiss can't fix it. But it does bring some comfort. For those who are willing to accept it. Thankfully she is one of those people. When I said the words I earlier lacked, she accepted them gracefully. I believe my favorite quality and concept is grace. Being given something completely undeserved and unearned, even in the face of previous failure. I don't really have the words to give it the explanation it deserves or requires...but it has definitely changed my life. I hope I can base all of my friendships and relationships on that one thing: grace.

Comments

Popular Posts