Hello World

Today was a very special day. In fact, last night I couldn't sleep. I was tired but I just could not make it to sleep until at least midnight. Morning came and that even seemed to crawl by. Finally...it was time. My first ultrasound.
Today, I saw our little baby fig for the first time (because this week, it's the size of a fig!). I saw Baby Wheeler's heart beat and heard it flutter, saw tiny feet, hands, body, head, brain (everyone who sees the picture assures me our baby has a big head with a big brain and it'll be smart like mom and dad), and at one point I even saw little arms wiggling.

Honestly, it all happened so fast. I was chatting with the ultrasound tech while she got everything ready and then suddenly there it was on the monitor. As I asked, "Is that...", I heard the little galloping hooves sound of our baby's heart beat, like a little seahorse...if seahorses had hooves. I never have and never will again hear anything quite like it. I totally teared up. After that the tech, clearly aware of my AWE and speechlessness, began pointing out what exactly we were seeing; identifying the head and feet and showing me a close up of the face (which was clear as day on the monitor when it was happening...the photo turned out a lot harder to identify...but if you look at it for awhile, you can see a little face...) and I don't know how she knew but at one point she said, "Oh! It looks like it's about to wiggle!" and then on cue, its little arms moved wildly.
I wanted John to be there so badly but I didn't let that put a damper on the experience and I know he'll be there for the later ones.
Up until this point, I didn't "FEEL" that pregnant. I've been a little sick, sure. But not enough to make me totally aware that another life is growing inside of me. But this experience...this was the REALNESS I craved and needed.
We cannot wait to meet you someday soon, little one.
Photo: Meself

Comments

Popular Posts