Donizetti

I will be 26 this year. It will be my first birthday with my husband home and my first birthday pregnant.
When I was trying to think of what to do for my birthday, I was slightly at a loss. You see, I really wanted to do something memorable and fun (as always) and with the people I enjoy. But the more I thought about who that might entail, I became sad because so many of the people I enjoy live so far away (as previously mentioned in an earlier blog). And thinking of something to do that would not be met with complaints by some and objections by others (true story from previous years) tired me out. So I finally concluded to be exclusive and spend my birthday with my favorite person only: John. One problem solved. Now...what to do? I began by thinking locally and since there really isn't that much to do in the area, I broadened my views and began perusing through different theatre's websites to see what was playing in nearby (and not so nearby) cities. For kicks, John told me to look at the Kennedy Center in DC to see if anything interesting was going on. He said it would be expensive and was probably a long shot but worth looking into. My inlaws live close by so lodging for the weekend would be free.
At first glance, I didn't recognize anything that was going on the weekend of my birthday. Then something caught my attention: an opera. I haven't been to an opera since I was 18 or 19 when I first moved back to the states. I remember seeing Manon Lescaut by Puccini and although it wasn't the most cheerful of stories (of course, we are talking about opera, right?), I loved it. It's been 7 long years and I decided that it is time for me to return to the opera. But did I know anything about this opera at the Kennedy Center? The name didn't ring a bell; neither did the composer. I began "researching" it by the use of ever-so-helpful youtube videos. I clicked the first one and sat dumbfounded in my chair. I knew that. I KNEW that piece. And knew it quite well. The soprano solo was the same one performed in one of my favorite movies The Fifth Element. Remember the blue alien opera singer? Yeah. That one. I've loved that piece since the moment I first heard it. And here it was in its original operatic element, begging to be rediscovered and studied. I did more research and the more I read, the more I liked. So with John's okay, the tickets were purchased. We are going to the opera for my birthday! Yes, it's a grusome and horrifying story. It's Lucia di Lammermoor by Donizetti and it's most famous for the scene when Lucia goes mad after stabbing her arranged-marriage groom. Yeah. Pleasant. But it's OPERA! Needless to say, I'm excited. Yes. I'll be there, opera glasses and all.
Photos: Unknown found via The Guardian and Image Shack

Comments

Popular Posts